Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gmcavalier Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2014, 07:42 AM
    Who Should Receive 1099 S
    I was employed by someone for 21 months. Never were any taxes taken out of my checks. I recently resigned.. was handed my last check AND a 1099. I asked why.. his response.. I felt like it.. is this legal and might I have an unemployment claim?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 31, 2014, 07:53 AM
    Sounds like you were an independent contractor and not an employee. Did you also get a 1099 for 2103?

If you resigned, then you would have no claim for unemployment either way.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Mar 31, 2014, 11:34 AM
    1099 is often used by some employers as a way to evade the employment taxes (income tax withholding, Social Security, FICA, unemployment compensation, worker's compensation, etc.). And OP may be forced to pay self-employment taxes if this "independent contractor" claim by the employer is legitimate.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Who should receive 1099's? [ 12 Answers ]

We have an LLC and have paid several individuals more than $600 for services, etc. What service providers should we issue a 1099 for? Mostly we are talking about newspaper advertisers and sign makers/installers?

What if I did not receive a 1099, hubby lost job and cashed 401, but no 1099 received [ 2 Answers ]

Husband lost job, received 401 money,they held out taxes ,but we have not received a 1099,I already e filed our taxes

Did not receive 1099-R yet? [ 1 Answers ]

I made a withdrawal on my 401k this year and did not receive a 1099-R. I have the payment record and it says "If applicable, an IRS form 1099-R will be sent to you early next year". Do I include this information this year or wait until next year? I had taxes taken out already.

Who is Required to Receive a 1099? [ 2 Answers ]

Who is required to receive a 1099

Did not receive 1099 NT [ 1 Answers ]

I have just become a resident alien for tax purposes, after 2 years on J1. My problem is that I don't have a 1099 INT from my bank. I called them and they told me my interest was only 3.99 and they only send them out if interest is over $10. I'm not sure how to fill out the 1040EZ since I don't...

View more questions Search