Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Mar 29, 2014, 04:39 AM
    Your government at work
    On March 22, the Compost reported that federal workers in an underground cave are still processing retirement papers by hand. Inside a Pennsylvania limestone mine 230 feet below the earth, 600 employees of the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) process retirement papers for government workers. They do everything by hand.

They are not in the cave due to the secrecy of their project. It’s the space. The 145 acres of tunnels have the capacity for more than 28,000 file cabinets .
    Over the past three decades, the government has spent more than $130 million trying to automate the processes to no avail. Over the past five years, the workforce has increased by 200 employees and the cost of completing each claim has increased from $82 to $108. Retirees have to wait months for their benefits and taxpayers are left footing the bill for the extra time and work.

Sinkhole of bureaucracy | The Washington Post
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Mar 29, 2014, 05:43 AM
    ???? and you people think, no presume, you can teach the rest of the world something?

GOYA
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Mar 29, 2014, 07:58 AM
    Here's another article about it: NPR : Caves a Cornerstone of U.S. Security Effort

The facility's general manager, Tom Roth, says security is "on par with any military base," and one of the most secure such sites in the world.

That's because there are some real American treasures here -- the original recordings of Elvis Presley, films by Walt Disney, the photo of a young John Kennedy Jr. saluting his father's coffin. The former mine is not a federal facility, but the government started leasing space here during the Cold War, to protect personnel files from the unthinkable.

The government also uses the mine as a central workplace for the 800 people who help conduct the background checks needed for all government workers.
    Also:
    It began storing records in 1954 and was purchased by Iron Mountain in 1998. It is here that Bill Gates stores his Corbis photographic collection in a refrigerated cave 220 feet (67 m) underground.[19] Nearby, the U.S. Office of Personnel Managementleases another underground cavern to store, and process government employee retirement papers.[20]
    Oddly the Bush era though it good enough to keep operating and tom didn''t have a problem with it then.
    Ultra Member

Mar 29, 2014, 08:38 AM
    I don't care if the space is leased to store treasures . That's better use of the space than what I posted .
    Try to stay focused here . What I and the Compost is referring to is hundreds of Federal Employees being hired to keep retiree records manually . That's ridiculous ! Are they using quill pen and ink ??
    I mentioned this has been going on for 3 decades so spare me this bs about not being concerned until the emperor came into power .There has been plenty time to computerize the process. Like I said ,it's our government at work . You should know by now I don't care who is the caretaker of the bureaucracy . The issue is that this has been identified as a problem for decades ,and nothing has been done to correct it except hiring more workers . Typical big government nonsense.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Mar 29, 2014, 09:20 AM
    Blah blah blah... same sh!t different day
    Ultra Member

Mar 29, 2014, 09:32 AM
    feel free to not comment .

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can you work for the government with a misdemeanor [ 5 Answers ]

Can I get a job working for the FBI or some other government agency as a criminal psychologist if I have a petty theft misdemeanor on my record from when I was 19? I am about to start school, I am 33 now, and don't want to waste my time or money if I can't use my degree. Thanks

Government Health Care at Work [ 37 Answers ]

So... you think that government-run health care is going to be more efficient and more capable of handling the job of distributing health care services than the private sector? CDC concedes vaccine production behind schedule - washingtonpost.com washingtonpost.com

Travel Reimbursement for Government work [ 3 Answers ]

I will soon be traveling for my job on a contract for a federal government agency. What do I need to have in order to receive federal government per diem rates at hotels/motels?

Government contracted work [ 5 Answers ]

I was hired by a union contractor to do some work out of state, out of town and out of the country, all these jobs were on the military base, a government contract. Am I supposed to get prevailing wage rate? I'm a comm and system installer, very experienced, based out of California. Do you know...

View more questions Search