Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    digger134 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2014, 03:31 PM
    Removing some slope towards the floor drain
    I am about to break out concrete in the basement for a complete bathroom tie in

I have a area where the slope towards the floor drain is severe. If I were to break out that area it would be about 6ft x 8ft. My question is can I a pour a self levelling concrete on top of the existing concrete to take away some of the slope?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 28, 2014, 04:20 PM
    Put a level on the high spot and them raise the level until its level, measure down from the far end of the level to the floor. How thick will your patch be?
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Mar 28, 2014, 07:30 PM
    Maybe partially, with the proper concrete bonding material similar to some of these:
    http://www.edisoncoatings.com/html/E...for_concre.htm

Do as ballenger suggested, then check into the bonding agents and ensure that you have at minimum, the thickness recommended by the bonding agent manufacturer. You will most likely have to remove some of the concrete surface from the point where you have the specified min. thickness to the tie-in point, to achieve that min. thickness. If you remove none of the existing concrete, where the new concrete is less than 2 " +/- thick (unless you use a very special and expensive mix), just foot traffic will break concrete simply tapered to zero. The bonding agent should also be a type that can be used in wet/flooded environment. (Edit: changed link due problem when opened)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Minimum floor drain slope [ 1 Answers ]

What is the miminum slope required for floor drain pipes diameter of 16,12 and 10mm to be self cleasing?

Shower Floor Drain Slope [ 1 Answers ]

What is the normal slope on the floor for drain function in a 5' by 4.5' shower?

No slope toward floor drain. [ 3 Answers ]

The crew that did my concrete also forgot to slope the floor toward the drain, then they cut lines in the floor and sawed right through the drain opening. Any suggestions.

I need to slope a floor toward the drain? [ 1 Answers ]

I have been asked to do a tiel job. The problem is that there is a floor drain that doesn't slope properly. I need to put a small slope on the floor but not too much. The existing floor is concrete. Do I use a Mud bed? How do I get a gradual slope over a large area? Please help.

View more questions Search