Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ideaguy007 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2014, 08:20 AM
    Water heater cycle time
    How many times per day, (on average) will a gas water heater, (domestic) cycle on if nobody's home?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Mar 28, 2014, 08:23 AM
    Insufficient information to even guess.. far too many variables.

It all depends on the ambient temp around the heater (some are in unheated spaces others) , how well the heater is insulated, and what water temperature the thermostate is set to.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Mar 28, 2014, 09:32 AM
    Yep.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 28, 2014, 09:39 AM
    Hmmm...

Actually, water heaters are so highly insulated over the last two decades or so that a water heater shouldn't really cycle at all after it recovers from the morning's normal use. If it does cycle on, it should only do it once even if it is in a "cool " basement. Here, the only real heat loss from a water heater is from the T&P valve (very small loss here and nowadays we insulate these believe it or not) and from the first 10 feet of hot water piping (why hot water pipe should be insulated out of a water heater for the first 10 feet (after 10 feet heat loss is considered "negligible)....notice that when you touch a water heater it is cold, so no real heat loss through the tank itself. Further, with the heat trap nipples they have been installing for decades now, there is even less heat loss with these systems.

Anyway, why are you asking Ideaguy?

mark
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 30, 2014, 09:45 AM
    Bottom line! It all depends on the size of the heater. It will take more energy,
    Gas or electricity ) to keep a 80 gallon heater up to temperature then a 40 gallon one. Good luck, Tom
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Mar 30, 2014, 03:29 PM
    Just like said above - there is way too many variables to even guess... Can you tell us why are you asking ? Maybe we can approach it from the other end

Back to you / Milo
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Apr 1, 2014, 05:01 AM
    Hi Nazia.

We appreciate you posting but you didn't read the question from Ideaguy properly.

Ideaguy asked, "How many times per day, (on average) will a gas water heater, (domestic) cycle on if nobody's home?"

Answers are as above.

Have a good day!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New water heater hot one time now Luke warm [ 1 Answers ]

I just had a water heater installed and it was perfect the first time we used it but after that the water just never seemed to warm up even close to the temp it started at and adjusting the thermostat doesn't help.

Why is water heater some time is not ignite? [ 1 Answers ]

I have the 50 gas water heater, I just replace the eclectric ignite, but some time still not ignite the water heater, I have turn off and tuen back on to get the water heater gas kick in..?

Water heater turns off after heat cycle [ 1 Answers ]

Whenever I check my water heater it is off. I will then light the pilot and turn the heater on. It will run properly until the end of the heat cycle, but once it is done it turns all the way off instead of just leaving the pilot on.

Water heater running time [ 4 Answers ]

My power company uses 90 hours for average monthly running time for figuring monthly cost.I don't know for sure but believe basing this on family of four.Now I know might be hard to know being so many factors to figure in.I live alone and hot water consumption is one shower a day.Laundry I do...

View more questions Search