Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    techie2u Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2014, 01:06 PM
    What wire size and type for 250' underground 20 amp circuit
    I live on Lake Lanier in Georgia. I want to run a power with a copper ground wire underground from my house to a floating dock 250' away to supply a 20 amp circuit. What type and size wire do I need to buy?
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Mar 27, 2014, 04:14 PM
    Just on the pure math, a 250' run of UF cable will require a size 4 AWG cable.

However, there is much more needed, not the least of which is weatherproof box, GFCI protection and probably more. I have never dealt with Marina or dockside installations.

I am sure someone can give a much better answer than I.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Mar 27, 2014, 05:11 PM
    My calculator, Southwire, shows a #6 will give you 20 amps with 3.69% voltage drop. You do not want to exceed that drop value. As Don notes, #4 would be optimal but more costly.

Mar 28, 2014, 11:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by donf View Post
    Just on the pure math, a 250' run of UF cable will require a size 4 AWG cable.

However, there is much more needed, not the least of which is weatherproof box, GFCI protection and probably more. I have never dealt with Marina or dockside installations.

I am sure someone can give a much better answer than I.
    Thank you very much. As I looked more indepth I found the regulations for a GFI and weatherproof box.

Thanks again, Techie2u

Mar 28, 2014, 11:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ma0641 View Post
    My calculator, Southwire, shows a #6 will give you 20 amps with 3.69% voltage drop. You do not want to exceed that drop value. As Don notes, #4 would be optimal but more costly.
    Thank you this was a help.
    Techie2u
    HowHardCanItBe Posts: 46, Reputation: 2

Mar 28, 2014, 01:10 PM
    Type UF like Don mentioned can be buried directly in dirt; another option would a conduit with individual conductors.

You might consider using a GFIC breaker to avoid nusiance tripping caused by condensation getting into a GFIC receptacle. They make nice single twist-lock receptacles that form a weather resistant seal.

I'd also consider running the underground portion to the shoreline, into a weatherproof disconnect switch. Then continue to the dock using either #12 extra-hard usage type SO cord, or liquid-tight flex with indivdual conductors inside. Everything needs to be designed for wet locations.

Apr 3, 2014, 07:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by HowHardCanItBe View Post
    Type UF like Don mentioned can be buried directly in dirt; another option would a conduit with individual conductors.

You might consider using a GFIC breaker to avoid nusiance tripping caused by condensation getting into a GFIC receptacle. They make nice single twist-lock receptacles that form a weather resistant seal.

I'd also consider running the underground portion to the shoreline, into a weatherproof disconnect switch. Then continue to the dock using either #12 extra-hard usage type SO cord, or liquid-tight flex with indivdual conductors inside. Everything needs to be designed for wet locations.
    Very good information. I appreciate all the great responses. I think I am ready to proceed with the project. Thank you very much.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wire size wire & circuit breaker do I need for a 15.8 range [ 2 Answers ]

What size circuit breaker & wire size do I need rfor a 15.8 raqnge ?

Wire Size for 250 Amp breaker 3 phase 208Y/120 [ 1 Answers ]

Wire Size for 250 Amp breaker 3 phase 208Y/120

Wire size for 100 amp 3 phase circuit [ 1 Answers ]

I am installing a commercial convection oven rated as follows: 220V 3 Phase. The oven pulls 23 kilowatts. I calculate this to be about 64 maximum amps. So, I'll use a dual pole GE 100 amp breaker in my box. The wire run will be about 15 feet through conduit. I'm getting conflicting reports on...

Wire & underground conduit size [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I will need an electrical wire run between a small transformer and the main control panel for the house. I expect the transformer to push 220 or 240 volts at 200 amps. The transformer will be just under 140 feet from the panel. What size wire should I use and what is the minimum size...

125 amp sub panel 250' away wire size [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 400 amp service in my home and will be running a line to my shop with a total run of 250' to feed a sub panel 125 amp service. What wire size is the 250' run? Would a 100 amp service be the same wire size? I would like to run copper wire, is aluminum that much less expensive? Any other...

View more questions Search