Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gfr Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2014, 09:22 AM
    Physics question
    A man can row at 1m/s when his boat is in fixed, stationary water.
    In a river, water flows at 0,5m/s.

If the man tries to cross the river in which direction (angle with respect to the line that crosses the river) he needs to direct his boat to get to the opposite side of the river?

My answer is arcsin (1/sqrt(5)) which is 29,56°

Is that right?

Thanks
    Giovanni
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 27, 2014, 10:13 AM
    No, not right. Think about adding two vectors - one of magnitude 1 in an unknown diretion and the other of magnitude 0.5 parallel to the water flow, such that the resulting sum of the two vectors is perpendicular to the water flow.
    gfr Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2014, 11:45 AM
    Ebaines,
    first of all thans.
    That's exactly what I did.
    If you want the resulting vector to be perpendicular to the water flow you need to add to the vector (0; -1/2) a vector which is (1; 1/2).
    So you have 1/2 = 1/2*sqrt(5)*sin (x) and x = arcsin (1/sqrt(5)).

Do you agree ?
    Ciao
    Giovanni

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Physics Question Help?! [ 2 Answers ]

I need help solving this problem. Can you help me!! Please tell me the steps and what formula. This is my last problem and I need help!! Please and thank you Tarzan is hanging straight down by a vine on the edge of a cliff when a very scared Jane, being chased by wild monkeys, runs at 5.0 m/s...

Physics question [ 0 Answers ]

How many seconds does it take for sound to travel from a lightening bolt to your ears if the air temperature is 34.7 C and the bolt is 1650 meters away? In this problem the units for the answer are s or seconds

Physics question [ 8 Answers ]

Hi Could you please answer my question, If I had 2 identical sledge hammers i.e. same materials i.e. hickory shaft of the same length & carbon steel head hitting the same surface with the same force or velocity, which would transmit the most shock/vibration back through the shaft to the hand/arm?...

View more questions Search