Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shockwavefx Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2014, 11:41 PM
    Acceleration force?
    I have to accelerate a 1500lb vehicle from zero to 30mph in a distance of five feet.
    Using a large pneumatic cylinder. How much force or pull in lbs would be required to do this?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 26, 2014, 05:54 AM
    A little over 9000 pounds of force.

To do this calculation first find the required acceleration using the equation v^2 = 2ad and solve for a, but be careful of units - 30 MPH = 44 ft/s. This gives a value for acceleration of 194 ft/s^2. Then the force needed comes from F=ma, and again be careful of units: you convert from lb_m - ft/s^2 to lb_f by dividing by 32.2 lb_m-ft/lb_f -s^2.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A certain force gives a mass m1 acceleration 12.0m/s2 the same froce gives an accerle [ 1 Answers ]

A certain force gives a mass m1 acceleration 12.0m/s2 the same froce gives an accerleration of 9.0m/s2 when mass m1 and m2 are tied together what accleration would this froce give m2 if m1 is untied from m2 ?

Force vs. Acceleration [ 3 Answers ]

how am I going to write an equation of the line about force and acceleration? What formula should I use to fine the slope of an graph? What will be my unit of the slope? What physical quantity does the slope represent?

Finding Friction Force Based on Acceleration [ 1 Answers ]

A passenger is pulling on the strap of a 15 suitcase such that the suitcase moves to the right ans speeds up. The tension in the strap is 70. and the strap is inclined 35 degrees above the horizontal. If the acceleration is 1.3 m/s^2, find the frictional force acting on the suitcase. EH?...

Force & acceleration [ 1 Answers ]

What force is required to accelerted a lawnmower of mass 12kg to 4.5km/h from rest in 3.0s (neglecting friction)

View more questions Search