Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    djrezzii Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2014, 09:25 AM
    Running a 240v 2 wire line next to a branch circuit ground?
    I have a branch circuit that is reading open ground due to it being an old house and no ground was pulled to that circuit. I have to pull a 240v 2 wire (2 hot & 1 ground) to that general location and was wondering if it would be safe to pull in an extra ground wire next to the 240v line to ground the branch circuit or would it be unsafe due to there being no neutral in the 240v (could it induce a current into the ground wire making it pointless?)

Thanks,
    Rez
    Apprentice electrician in RI
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Mar 25, 2014, 10:16 AM
    If the receptacle is a non-grounding receptacle, leave it alone. "If it's not broke don't fix it."

NEC 2014 Article 250.130(C)(4) Nongrounding Receptacle replacement or Branch Circuit Extension "An equipment grounding conductor that is part of another branch circuit that originates from the enclosure where the branch circuit for the receptacle or branch circuit originates"

If your area has adopted the 2014 edition of the code you are fine.

However, if you are at 2011 or earlier, then 406.4(D)(2)(a) thru (c). You either replace the receptacle with another non-grounding receptacle or use A GFCI receptacle that is labeled as not grounded.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Mar 25, 2014, 06:04 PM
    Just install with the 2 hots. Pulling a separate ground, unless you are using conduit, is not code approved.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Mar 25, 2014, 06:12 PM
    Mark, You are incorrect. The 240 V branch circuit is going to require a EGC. Under the 2014 edition of code, that EGC can be extended (as long as it originate in the same panelboard as the receptacle branch circuit) to the outlet that needs it.
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Mar 27, 2014, 06:23 AM
    I think some of the answers are missing the point. The OP IS running a 240v circuit with a ground... period. His question is whether he can legally add a second ground to supply the circuit in question. In my opinion Don has answered this correctly, as long as the ground wire is sufficient in size.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Running new branch circuit to bedroom from basement panel [ 1 Answers ]

New Branch circuit: Currently there are 3 bedrooms on the same circuit one receptacle a piece. When using the AC it trips the circuit to the entire upstairs. What's best option for running new branch circuit? Few thought of options: 1. Disconnect one bedroom from the circuit and run new...

Correct method to RUN copper ground wire to ground a 200 amp electrical circuit box? [ 0 Answers ]

Is a 3-wire copper ground or a solid copper wire required to ground a 200 amp electrical box? Is this wireing correct: A 3-wire copper ground wire in a conduit run from the electrical panel to the copper rod in the ground then to the cold water; AND THEN IN THE GARAGE the naked 3-wire...

240v GFI trips when 120v branch circuit is activated. [ 2 Answers ]

I'm having a problem with my Spa GFI/disconnect. I have been using my spa for several years wired as it currently is with no problem. A while ago I decided to take advantage of the provided 15 amp branch circuit that is built into the disconnect/GFI box. I just wanted to have a outdoor outlet for...

Can an open ground reading on a grounded circuit mean a 240V line? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, folks - wondering if someone can help me out. I'm getting an "open ground" reading on a wall outlet which is being fed by 12/2-grounded romex cable. The cable is grounded at the panel, so I'm not sure why I should be getting an open ground reading. This line is for an electric baseboard...

View more questions Search