Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Keenbug Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2007, 10:12 AM
    Decking on a Slope
    We have a pool in our back yard with a ten foot concrete decking sourrounding it. We would like to extend a wood or simulated wood decking an additional 20 feet over an area that slopes down the side of a hill. The slope drops approx. 1:1 and I'm trying to figure out what type of footing I need to install and how deep I may need to go for a stable foundation.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 3, 2007, 01:34 PM
    Where do you live and do you know your frost depth? By a slope of 1:1 are you meaning the hill is a 45 degree angle? That's pretty steep.
    Keenbug Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2007, 05:59 PM
    I live in Woodland Hills (Southern California) and have no idea what my frost depth is. Where we are, frost is not a concern, unless the morning glories freeze. As to the slope, yes, it's almost a 45 degree, which is why I am concerned that the cement footers sold at Home Depot are not the right way to go.

Thanks for your inquiry.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 4, 2007, 06:57 AM
    I would not use precast footers on a 45 slope. They could slip/slide with erosion. Dig a hole 12-16 in. wide that gets a bit wider as you go down. Dig at least 3 ft. down and fill with concrete. Install a steel pin in the concrete sticking straight up for later connection to your support. You can buy a ready-made plastic form that looks like an upside down spot light. Drop it in the hole and fill. I am going to stop at this point because CA has some pretty stiff building codes, for good reasons. You need to get a permit from your local building department and they can tell you additional details of requirements to avoid slippage and earth quake damage. DO NOT BUILD without the permit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Concrete slope [ 1 Answers ]

I am setting tile on an outside patio that is on the second level of the house. The patio is a concrete slab that is completely level. I need to know what kind of concrete to use and how to go about diverting all the water so that it will drain properly

Floor slope [ 1 Answers ]

What is the slope requirement of the floor for a restroom floor drain

Slope and intercept this is it for now . [ 2 Answers ]

1. Which line is the flattest (or is less steep)? Why? y = 5x -6 y = 5x + 6 y = x - 3 y = x + 3 2. The line y = 4x - 7 crosses the y axis at: (4, 0) (0, 4)

Composite Decking [ 1 Answers ]

I have an existing wood deck. Would like to replace the floor boards, railing and stair system with a composite material. Live by the ocean so need a product that will withstand the elements. Heard of Trex, Veranda, Fiberglass--any advice on these or other products would be appreciated.

The slope [ 2 Answers ]

What is the slope of the line parallel to -2x-y=6?

View more questions Search