Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    marinaavet Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2014, 08:25 PM
    Inventory LCM method?
    If your inventory market values went down significally, can you use LCM to adjust the inventory and record a loss? Please note, the method to value the inventory has been a Cost Method. The IRS states:

"The value of your inventory is a major factor in figuring your taxable income. The method you use to value the inventory is very important.

The following methods, described below, are those generally available for valuing inventory.

• Cost.
    • Lower of cost or market.-LCM
    • Retail."

So, if LCM has not been used before, does that mean it can't be used this time due to inventory value reduction?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 25, 2014, 07:19 PM
    Yes, I believe that is permitted, but I am NOT sure.
    MLSNC Posts: 158, Reputation: 17

Mar 25, 2014, 08:46 PM
    I think if you have used cost in prior years the change to LCM would be a change in accounting methods which would require filing Form 3115. Some changes are automatic and some require approval and I do not know which one this change would fall under without hitting the books.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I find the ending inventory using the FIFO Method through perpetual inventory? [ 0 Answers ]

How do I find the ending inventory using the FIFO Method through perpetual inventory?

How to find ending inventory using the average inventory cost method [ 3 Answers ]

The Boxwood Company Sells blankets for $60 each. Purchase 5 units 30$ Purchase 10 units 34$ Purchase 10 units 40$ Sale 3 units Sale 6 units Sale 3 units Assuming that the company uses the perpetual inventory system, determine the ending inventory for the month of May using the average...

Retail Inventory method [ 7 Answers ]

I need help with retail inventory method: I do not know how to figure out goods available for sale at retail, or any other bits of information... Here is the question/equation Athletic Shirts: (selling price 1.6 times the cost) beginning inventory at cost: 48000 sales for the 1st 6 months...

LCM Inventory Method using Excel spreadsheet [ 1 Answers ]

I am completely stuck on these formulas for Excel. It's very hard to explain, and I think I might need to email you my spreadsheet (whoever might help me... ). But, I'm confused on relative and absolute formulas. I can't use cell references - only cell/range names, and no arithmetic operators -...

View more questions Search