Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    belizando Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2014, 05:07 PM
    How to garnish bank account in Texas
    I've obtained a judgement against an individual for $1900 plus court costs in Texas small claims court. After 30 days elapses, I can file for a writ of garnishment or a writ of execution. If I want to go after their bank account, how do I find out where they bank? How do I find out what various accounts they have?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Mar 24, 2014, 05:13 PM
    Getting the writ is the easy part.. but finding accounts to garnish is all on you. I'd recommend hiring a Private investigator and see what they can dig up. Its going to cost you some money... but they have far more contacts and resources than you have.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 25, 2014, 04:00 AM
    You can ask the court to require that they file a financial statement. Whether the court will do this, I am not sure. A PI can run a credit report that may include the info you need. So it may not cost too much.

Getting a judgment is the easy part, collecting is another story.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Mar 26, 2014, 11:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    You can ask the court to require that they file a financial statement. Whether the court will do this, I am not sure. ...
    Or, in some places a judgment creditor can require the judgment debtor to be examined under oath as to their financial affairs. In other words, the OP could ask the debtor questions under oath.

The problem is, of course, once the debtor is forced to disclose this information, there would normally be nothing to stop the debtor from emptying the account before garnishment levy upon the account could be accomplished. That's why it is often a better idea to somehow figure out what bank account the debtor has, and hit the bank with a levy without warning.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Garnish a bank account in Oregon [ 2 Answers ]

I have been doing business with a company that is a llc in Oregon. They have allways paid me with checks from other llc companys.I filed a small claim on the company that I did business with but now it appears that they do not have a bank act.The other llc companys that I got checks from do have...

Garnish bank account [ 1 Answers ]

My wife and I have a joint checking account. We added our married daughter's to the account in case something happens to us. One of our daughther's owed money and the bank she owed the money to garnished our checking account. Is this legal?

Can my car loan lender garnish my bank account/wages in Texas? [ 3 Answers ]

Can my car loan lender garnish my bank account/wages in Texas?

Garnish bank account [ 2 Answers ]

Can you tell me if a utility company can garnish my bank account for a 1 year old bill not paid

View more questions Search