Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 29, 2014, 01:10 PM
    You can always bank the dancer money, and get qualified for a really good job that you want as a career, and be independent enough to do your thing when you decide what you want to do in life. I don't know any rich dancers, and most over the long haul HAVE to dance because they squandered youthful opportunities, and great tips on material choices.

Even staying with your parents should be seen as an opportunity to get your act together for the long term, when the tips are not so great. But I understand the lure of fun and frivolous frolic that very young people have, and want to explore and experiment with. You have been blessed with book brains and early graduation, so I would hope you press that advantage for your own gain, as there is plenty of time to shake your butt for a few bucks and instant gratification.

It would seem such a young smart cookie would know that wanting to leave home as a stripper/dancer, and no solid long term career plan is not a very good idea, just to get out away from parents. Its no solid way to manage your life, and create good options, and opportunities, that pays for what you want.

The lure of quick, easy, and fun money is strong, but I am sure a whizz kid as yourself can figure a better plan. Just in case the good time you enjoy now turns into the hard times of reality. No secret I think you are wasting your time on the wrong things, and have flaws in your plans.

I like your confidence though, but the success of your plan depends on how well it goes for you, and the adjustments you make when it DOESN'T.
    spareaddress Posts: 18, Reputation: 2

Mar 29, 2014, 01:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    You can always bank the dancer money, and get qualified for a really good job that you want as a career, and be independent enough to do your thing when you decide what you want to do in life. I don't know any rich dancers, and most over the long haul HAVE to dance because they squandered youthful opportunities, and great tips on material choices.

I like your confidence though, but the success of your plan depends on how well it goes for you, and the adjustments you make when it DOESN'T.
    Your answer was very helpful. Thank you so much.
    I understand where you are getting at. Do you think you might be able to explain more?
    My plan is not perfect. I suppose that I could further my study in the field that I will graduate with a degree. I could live with my pleased, proud parents and have that career, and I could wear long dresses and get married by twenty-one and have a nice whiz kid number two. I suppose.
    I just... don't want to. Not yet.

I guess I enjoy stripping to some degree, as one could not do well in the position otherwise, but I chose the avenue solely for the amount of money it made as compared to the time I put in. Perhaps there is a hidden psychological cost I am sustaining. I daresay I sustain this sort of thing rather well, having been exposed to the type of hardship at a young age.

I want to go to a top University, possibly on scholarship, to study something wonderful. I'd like to make art and music and stories and be Miss Universe!
    (maybe not that last part)
    Expert

Mar 29, 2014, 03:35 PM
    There is nothing more to explain. For all your brains its obvious you rather be rebellious and carefree. I get that, but you should also be grateful you have that liberty, as many your age do not. I can see why your parents are very strict, old school so to speak, but you have to understand you are unproven, untested, and direction unknown.

Stubborn to the max, arrogant, both a credit, and a curse, and simply have no reason to get beyond your unformed dreams and stop squandering your time and talent and be more productively self motivated. You may be smart as a whip but your mature age is still that of a typical young girl fresh out of high school. Your attitude lacks gratitude because life has yet to put a boot up your arse.

IT WILL.

Then you will find out how smart you really are, and what you are made of.

Mar 29, 2014, 04:15 PM
    I see.
    Expert

Mar 29, 2014, 04:36 PM
    You see what?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 29, 2014, 05:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by spareaddress View Post
    Haha, good one.
    I worked twice or thrice a week for about eight months.
    Why do you write using such outdated terminology, twice and thrice ?

You said you were not wealthy but made a lot at stripping... bought a piano, etc ?

Mar 29, 2014, 05:45 PM
    I didn't know my terminology was outdated. My parents are not American - I guess I never lost some of their vernacular.
    And correction: I was not NOT-wealthy. Double negative. Sorry.
    And yes, made a lot stripping.

Mar 29, 2014, 07:14 PM
    Also, I am a virgin. Maybe I'll pull a Natalie Dylan.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Mar 29, 2014, 07:21 PM
    Also, I am a virgin. Maybe I'll pull a Natalie Dylan.
    Starting to thing this is a troll.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Mar 29, 2014, 07:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    Starting to thing this is a troll.
    Just starting? I was sure at the finished high school 4 years early and is almost finished college at 18 part. A PHD I am guessing.

Mar 29, 2014, 07:35 PM
    Maybe I shouldn't have added that last thing if serious advice was what I sought, which it was.
    If I went back in time just a year ago to speak with myself, and revealed the above plan, seventeen-year-old me would have decided to see a psychiatrist very soon.

The thing took me a very long time to decide to do and even longer to simply ponder.
    I don't know why I thought I could drop it on you guys so flippantly and expect an actual response.

Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    You see what?
    For one thing, that maybe I should prepare for life's aforementioned boot.

Yet I beg to disagree; life has stuck a boot up my arse.

Okay? It was a man. I don't know why. I was very young. I don't like talking about it.
    No (V) penetration. This shouldn't matter, but I wouldn't like anyone calling out my virginity status that I (after all) have so boldly declared.

Point is, I'm not sheltered. I'm inexperienced but not unaware of what I may deal with with when I choose to walk out. I like to think that not everyone is abusive, pedophilic, or murderous, but I know the world isn't full of fairies conspiring to help my plan come true because I'm a sort of Cinderella or something.

Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    Just starting? I was sure at the finished high school 4 years early and is almost finished college at 18 part. A PHD I am guessing.
    PhD?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 29, 2014, 07:43 PM
    For one thing, that maybe I should prepare for life's aforementioned boot.
    How can you possibly do that?
    Uber Member

Mar 29, 2014, 07:51 PM
    PhD?
    If you finished 12 years of school in 8, you should have been able to do a Masters or PHD in 4 more. Unless you were slacking off.

Mar 29, 2014, 08:01 PM
    If you finished 12 years of school in 8, you should have been able to do a Masters or PHD in 4 more. Unless you were slacking off.
    No. I might have been slacking just a bit, but university doesn't work the way grade school did. There's no skipping courses. I tested out of a few, but people in general don't do more than twenty hours a semester.
    Find other prodigy stories online - although I am certainly not a "prodigy," their circumstances might shed light on my own case. These people, like me but most at a much faster rate, speed until admission to college but have to slow down for the university and graduate schooling.
    Except you know, Doogie Howser or Spencer Reid.
    aliseaodo Posts: 1,671, Reputation: 259
    Movie Expert

Mar 29, 2014, 08:59 PM
    Ha! I love it. So, you're born and raised in the US of A, but you call college 'University', and you say you 'worked twice or thrice a week' at the strip club, huh - not terms used EVER by Americans, just to let you know. So twice or thrice a week for eight months you made 500.00 a day, using the lesser of the two, (1000.00 a week for 32 weeks) you made $32,000.00? You spent that on beauty treatments and gowns ( another word that Americans wouldn't use for regular dresses.. ) Holy Moly! You must be more plastic than flesh at this point. Also - You should totally have your condo (s) by now.

Mar 29, 2014, 09:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by aliseaodo View Post
    Ha! I love it. So, you're born and raised in the US of A, but you call college 'University', and you say you 'worked twice or thrice a week' at the strip club, huh - not terms used EVER by Americans, just to let you know. So twice or thrice a week for eight months you made 500.00 a day, using the lesser of the two, (1000.00 a week for 32 weeks) you made $32,000.00? You spent that on beauty treatments and gowns ( another word that Americans wouldn't use for regular dresses.. ) Holy Moly! You must be more plastic than flesh at this point. Also - You should totally have your condo (s) by now.
    A previous poster asked me why I went to college, not university. So I decided to use the latter word after that point. In my question, I use college, because that's what I've always called it. I admit I didn't know "thrice" was such a quirky word.

Gown clubs. Look them up. They don't call 'em dress clubs in dancer jargon, they just don't. Thus, I call my work dresses gowns. Heavens, I didn't buy regular dresses. These were work investments. (That sounded more ridiculous than it should have.)

America's Boomtown: Strippers can make $3,000 a night - Oct. 25, 2011
    PICTURED: The money a stripper makes in just one shift (and it's more than many of us make in a month) | Mail Online
    These are unusual nights, but seriously. No joke.
    It isn't relevant at all but I haven't got local-anesthesia filler, even. I'm talking spa treatments, here. They add up.
    And condos ain't cheap in the big city.

Wow, do I need to upload audio of myself? Except that my parents would, I don't know, hear me talk about leaving their home.
    aliseaodo Posts: 1,671, Reputation: 259
    Movie Expert

Mar 29, 2014, 09:51 PM
    Yikes! I don't care what you say, Americans don't call dresses 'gowns' - ever (we DO say Bridal Gown... pretty sure that's about it.. I would never say to my co-worker 'hey, what gown are you wearing tomorrow.. ), and, even if another poster referred to school after high school as 'university' rather than 'college' there is no reason why you would feel the need to use that word, if anything, you would address the point that the poster had mistakenly used the term 'university' instead of 'college'. ALSO - I have spent many a fine night in a club - we never called it a 'Gown Club' - never. You are correct when you say that they are not called 'dress clubs' that makes no sense. If I had to label it, I would call it a 'Club' or a 'Dance Club' plain and simple. If there was stripping - it would be called a 'strip club' My European friend, get your vernacular right before you start trolling again, just sayin'...
    Uber Member

Mar 29, 2014, 09:59 PM
    Just to reference why I said College... I'm from a part of the country that calls the carbonated drinks sold by Pepsi and Coke... "POP" and we call Bologna "Jumbo"... ( Pittsburgh, PA PITTSBURGHESE .com ) And while there are technical differences between a college and a University... we use the terms interchangeably.
    Expert

Mar 30, 2014, 08:16 AM
    Strippers can make a lot of money, but they have to be 18, so you danced illegally, or part of this story is missing. You say because your parents were abusive, but how does a 17 year old get out of the house and dance at these men's clubs, and buy all kinds of junk, and a piano no less.

What's all the abuse you have to endure? Punishment for misbehaving? Breaking strict rules? You even elude to being assaulted by a male in another posts. You are gifted at dancing around many pertinent facts, but the dots just don't connect.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 30, 2014, 08:48 AM
    And while there are technical differences between a college and a University... we use the terms interchangeably.
    Yes, that's true. The technical differences include that a college (4 years) hands out a bachelor's of arts or science in some field, whereas a university hands out that plus master's degrees (2+ years) and possibly (often) Ph.D.s or M.D.s (many years).

What will your bachelor's degree be in, spareaddress? Are you considering a master's and beyond?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Is it wrong to leave my job and return home to my family? [ 7 Answers ]

I'm working in a foreign country and although I loved my job at first, I now hate it. I've got a good relationship with my bosses but not with any of my co-workers. Surprisingly, I get along with employees lower down than me though, and some have become personal friends and my support system over...

Can my beat friend leave her foster home at age 16 and live with me and my family? [ 1 Answers ]

My best friend has been in foster care for a little over 2 yrs. I have heard that she can leave at age 16 if she is not happy with the foster home she is in.

Family member won't leave fathers home that we need to sell [ 7 Answers ]

My fathers' nephew has been allowed to live in my fathers home when my father was well enough to care for himself and afford to maintain his own home; the nephew has never had a lease written or verbal nor has he paid anything. Now that I have moved my father into my home to care for him, my...

Getting a family member to leave my home when I move [ 7 Answers ]

I presently lease a home and my name is the only one on the lease document. My daughter (39) and grand daughter (15) are listed as occupants. My daughters boyfriend also lives in the house. I am in the process of buying a condo for myself and feel that my daughter will refuse to leave when I...

Do I have to leave the family home when divorcing [ 4 Answers ]

Do I have to leave the home when divorcing

View more questions Search