Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    elexhobby Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2014, 01:31 PM
    US-India tax treaty - can I claim deduction for CA state taxes?
    I'm an F1 student from India who did an internship in CA for 3 months and am a nonresident for tax purposes.

The form https://www.ftb.ca.gov/forms/2013/13_540nrcains.pdf states:

"If you excluded income exempted by U.S. tax treaties on your federal Form 1040 (unless specifically exempt for state purposes), enter the excluded amount in column C"

My federal 1040 shows that income was excluded by US India tax treaty. Should I add this excluded amount in column C, or is it exempt for state purposes as well?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 23, 2014, 02:20 PM
    Indian students are allowed to claim the standard deduction as their treaty exemption, so you do NOT have to add that amount in Column C.
    elexhobby Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2014, 10:43 PM
    I save money :). Thanks a lot!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 23, 2014, 11:04 PM
    Glad to help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I claim Tax Treaty Deduction? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I came to US in Aug. 2005 on F1 status. Then changed to F1-OPT in August 2009 and to H1-B in August 2010. As far as I know, I am qualified as resident alien for tax purposes for filing my taxes for 2010. I wanted to know, if I can claim the India-US tax treaty deduction for my 2010 tax...

Standard Deduction under India-US Tax Treaty [ 1 Answers ]

I am L1 Visa holder who was in USA from March-May 2007. I wanted to know the following: 1. Am I eligible to claim the Standard Deduction (USD 5350) under India-US Tax Treaty. 2. Do I need to make any special note regarding the treaty anywhere on 1040NR-EZ. 3. Can the personal exemption...

India tax treaty exemption on California state tax [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I was a full time employee from working on OPT from 01/01/07 to 09/30/07 and then was on H1-B status from 10/01/07 to 12/31/07. I am filing my 1040 nr for federal and would like to know answers to following questions: 1. what is the india tax treaty exemption for 2007 2. Is the standard...

India US Tax Treaty + Resident Alien + Standard deduction [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I am an Indian national who finished 5 years on an F1-visa in 2007 and therefore am a resident alien for tax purposes (2007 tax year). Can I claim the India-US Tax treaty ($ 5000 deduction) + standard individual deduction ( $5350) for the tax year ? Am I just being too greedy ? :D ...

Claim Standard deduction under US-INDIA treaty [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I was in the US on H1 VISA and am filing my returns as a non-resident alien. Can I claim Standard deduction of $5150 instead of itemized deductions under the US-INDIA treaty.

View more questions Search