Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fahrside Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 22, 2014, 01:38 PM
    Wiring a 4 gang box
    Hi All! I'm wiring my basement and need some advice on how to wire the box. Here is what I have: Wire 1 power source with 14-3 wire coming from top of stairs, Wire 2 two canned lights at bottom of stairs 14 - 2 wire, Wire 3 connects to 4 canned lights in one half a large family room 14 - 2 wire, Wire 4 connect to 4 canned lights in other half of large family room 14 - 2 wire. Wire 3 and Wire 4 will be using dimmer switches, Wire 1 and 2 using standard switches.

Thanks!
    Eric
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Mar 22, 2014, 09:08 PM
    How many breakers on these circuits?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Mar 23, 2014, 05:07 AM
    There are inconsistencies in your post.

You said you have a four gang box yet you list only 3 switches. You also said that switches 1 and 2 are standard switches and that switches 3 and 4 are dimmers.

Why is the incoming power cable a 3-wire cable?
    HowHardCanItBe Posts: 46, Reputation: 2

Mar 26, 2014, 08:00 PM
    Hard to say definitively without seeing everything, but I have a bad feeling that the 14-3 was intended to be used for 3-way switch at top and bottom of stairway.

If true that means you don't have enough conductors to have a constant hot for the cans, a neutral for the cans, and still have 3-way switching.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

In house wiring, in a two or three gang box, can more than one circuit be fed in? [ 2 Answers ]

In a two or three gang switch box, can the switches be fed from different circuits? Phil

Dbl switch single gang box to a two gang box.. surprise! [ 1 Answers ]

In my kitchen I installed track lights from the org. fixture. Well the switch was a dbl over& under. The lower switch for the garbage disposer. Simple replace single gang box with dbl and hook lights up to a dimmer switch, the disposer to single switch. Well my gas stove also runs off this. I can...

Wiring a four gang box [ 6 Answers ]

Bathroom fan/light replace & wall removed in bathroom remodeling project. Using 12/3 for bathroom fan / light, 12/2 for shower light, 12/2 for outlet. All wires feed to four gang box being feed by 12/2 wire on 20 amp service lead. Question is connecting black to switches. My understanding is to...

Diagram on wiring 3 lights & 1 outlet in 1 3 switch gang box? [ 1 Answers ]

You provided a diagram of 1 gang box controlling 3 lights and 1 outlet before. I can't seem to locate it. Can you please Master of all Electricians please provide another? One of many who appreciates your knowledge, Sonia galicia Email: [email protected]

View more questions Search