Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Duke4141 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2014, 04:27 AM
    My great dane is very scared of me I clipped her toe nail
    I clipped her toe nail and now she runs from me. I need help. I cannot take it much longer.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 21, 2014, 07:32 AM
    How long has it been?
    Are you still trying to clip her nails?
    Have you spent extra time sweet talking her?
    Dogs forgive pretty quickly, usually.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 21, 2014, 06:57 PM
    When you clipped her nails, how did you go about it. Did you clip the qwik when you cut her nails?
    Ratchet Spanner Posts: 36, Reputation: 4

Mar 22, 2014, 11:40 AM
    As a long time dog owner, my wife and I can clip any other dogs nails with no muss or fuss! With our own dogs it is a royal pain, they know if they yelp or act up we will give up. My advice take your dog to a pet shop that has groomers , pay the $20. Or so and avoid the grief for you and your dog. Good luck!
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 22, 2014, 01:01 PM
    Get over it, we all go through this. Leave off for a while and take him to a groomer so his hurting is not connected with you. Remember YOU are the alpha.
    carolmonroe38 Posts: 53, Reputation: 8

Mar 22, 2014, 01:29 PM
    I used to desensitize rescue dogs and have found that using positive reinforcement is the only way for something like this. Get him to lie down and pet him all over and end up with a foot. Give him treats and say "good girl" while you're massaging his leg. Give him a treat whenever he lets you touch his feet. If he's ultra-sensitive, touch on foot the first day, then two on the second, etc.

Cesar Millan is a master of desensitizing dogs. You may want to watch the episodes and see his technique. Dogs are less complicated than we assume. Humans, yes. Dogs, no. They live in the moment. Good luck.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 22, 2014, 02:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by carolmonroe38 View Post
    I used to desensitize rescue dogs and have found that using positive reinforcement is the only way for something like this. Get him to lie down and pet him all over and end up with a foot. Give him treats and say "good girl" while you're massaging his leg. Give him a treat whenever he lets you touch his feet. If he's ultra-sensitive, touch on foot the first day, then two on the second, etc.

Cesar Millan is a master of desensitizing dogs. You may want to watch the episodes and see his technique. Dogs are less complicated than we assume. Humans, yes. Dogs, no. They live in the moment. Good luck.
    While I do agree with handling the dogs paws often, and positive reinforcement, and I do enjoy watching Cesar Millan, I don't think it's a good idea for any owner, especially a novice, to attempt to use Cesars methods. More often than not people don't do it right, and end up messing up the dog even more.

When I get a dog as a puppy I handle his paws every single day. One of the first things I teach him (after sit) is shake a paw. The longer he puts his paw in my hand, the more praise I give. I give my puppies a full body rub down, and end with the paws, when the dog is nice and relaxed. It's very important to handle a dogs paws as much as possible from the moment you get the dog.

It can be harder with an older dog, but it's not impossible. Positive reinforcement is the key, and consistency.

Having said that, I like the other posters recommendation to take them to a groomer to get the nails clipped. My vet charges $5 for a nail clipping.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How likely is my Toe Nail to Fall off? [ 0 Answers ]

I was playing basketball today and I guess I slammed my Big Toe very hard into my sneaker... it was very painful I looked at my foot to make sure it was OK and even though it was still hurting kept on playing... when I went home I saw it again and noticed some purple at the base of the nail and I...

Toe Nail Fungus. [ 2 Answers ]

About a year ago I was wearing sneakers that were just a bit too small. I didn't think about it and later found that my Big Toe Nails were slightly discolored -- still not a big deal. I later noticed that the nails had grown out and I was fine with that. Later, the toe nails I noticed were half...

Partial Toe nail removal [ 3 Answers ]

Partial Toe Nail Removal Anyone here ever had it.. they removed about one quarter on the left and right side of both nails and then removed the nail bed, root and matrix with an acid called phenol. I had both my big toes done about 2 weeks ago, their healing well, still a little sensitive, and...

Great Dane Great Strain? [ 8 Answers ]

I love great danes!! I have and always will love them. In general I love big dogs! My question is though if I were to get a great dane what's my cost looking at what are some of the problems that are spefic to great danes behaviour and health wise (ex. Yorkies have hip problems) also I really want...

Bleeding toe nail [ 2 Answers ]

I was trimming my danes toe nails, hit the quick on one and it started bleeding, I don't hyave a quick stop, any advice?

View more questions Search