Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    andrewstanz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2014, 05:31 PM
    I don't love my girlfriend anymore and I don't know how to tell her.
    First I hope no one sees me as an a$$ here. I'm not stringing this girl on or anything like that. I just don't feel anything for her anymore and that hurts me but I also know I need to end it. I have been in a 1 year relationship with this girl and we got into it quickly and within a month or so we were saying we love each other and wanted to be together and get married.

I felt this way but lately I realized that this is not what I wanted. I don't feel what I felt before and I know I need to end things because I can't string her along. My problem is I don't want to damage her. We talked constantly about our life and how it's designed around each other and how we'll get married and have kids and be a happy family for the rest of our lives and that she wants to be with me forever and I just don't know how to break up with her. I don't want to hurt her but I can't let this go on.

Right now she's away and I have no way to contact her for the next few days (until Sunday). How should I end things with her? Please any advice would help.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 20, 2014, 05:37 PM
    Honesty is the best policy. Sit her down and tell her that although you care about her, you're no longer in love with her, and you don't feel it's fair to her to stay in a relationship when you know it won't be forever.

There's no way to break up with someone that's not going to hurt. No matter how nice you are, it's still going to hurt.

Do make sure that she knows that this isn't a break, she should get on with her life without you in it, because there's no hope of getting you back. That's the problem with most breakups and the reason we have so many broken hearted people coming here asking how to get their ex back. The ex doesn't make it clear that it's over, or continues to contact the person giving them false hope that things can be mended.

The best course of action is to be honest, and then go no contact, for her sake and yours.

Good luck. It's never easy breaking up with someone, but it's much better to let them go if you don't see a future with them.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Mar 20, 2014, 06:35 PM
    Like ALty says.. best to just come out with it... but be nice about the way you say it. Its going to hurt her no matter what you say, so at least show her her respect by being as nice as you can about it.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 20, 2014, 07:15 PM
    Be nice and gentle as possible but its going to hurt. No way around it. The sooner you are honest the better.
    carolmonroe38 Posts: 53, Reputation: 8

Mar 21, 2014, 02:17 PM
    I totally agree with Alty. Good luck.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 21, 2014, 05:47 PM
    I perhaps will not be as nice, how long have you known, you do not feel for her. You say you are always talking about marriage, a life together?? Are you still talking like this, even after you knew, you lost feelings?

If so, yes you were stringing her along, with lies. With that said, if you talk deeply, and was losing or worried about feelings, why did you not talk about that also.

Is it just her being gone, or did something happen, to make you change your mind ?

Would counseling or something help make you find feelings ? Real love just does not end, it dies for reasons.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why don't I love my girlfriend anymore? [ 4 Answers ]

We've been together for almost 2 years. She's a beautiful girl. I've been thinking about breaking up for the last couple of months because I don't feel anything for her anymore. What's keeping me from doing it, is that I fear that I will wake up one day and realize that I've made the biggest...

Why don't I love my girlfriend anymore? [ 6 Answers ]

We've been together for 4 years. She's a beautiful girl. I've been thinking about breaking up for the last couple of months because I don't feel anything for her anymore. What's keeping me from doing it, is that I fear that I will wake up one day and realize that I've made the biggest mistake of my...

I love my girlfriend but I don't want to have sex anymore. [ 12 Answers ]

Yeah, I know, this must sound terribly weird coming from a guy, but keep in mind, not all guys are 90% dedicated to sex. To me, everything is more about a challenge, a brainteaser, I thrive on problem-solving, coming up with new ideas, new ways to look at things... And I'm very good at that. ...

I don't think I love my girlfriend anymore [ 4 Answers ]

I'm an 18 year old male I've been with my girlfriend for 11 months now and we've been through a lot together she left her parents and home country to live with me abroad we met when she was on holiday where I live and we fell for each other when she left I missed her so much we spoke every day on...

I don't know if I love my girlfriend of 4 years anymore? [ 3 Answers ]

Well I'm 20 years old, my girlfriend is 22 and we've been dating since we were in high school. Ive been with her 4 years but on and off, which actually is equal to about 2 years or so. All the time we were together we would always fight for stupid things and break up. I loved her allot and I did...

View more questions Search