Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alienjan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2014, 07:57 AM
    Can not open a pdf file
    I have downloaded a pdf file from email attachment. I have downloaded it correctly, no problem. But when I tried to open it, then it is showing a message like... Adobe Reader could not open 'xyz.pdf' because it is either not a supported file type or because the file has been damaged. Is it really that pdf file is damaged now ?This pdf file is working properly at the sender's end. I had asked him again to send it but the problem is same.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Mar 20, 2014, 08:09 AM
    Try sending your copy back to them and see if they can open your copy... not just open the original. If they can open that... the problem is in your machine... if they can't... they need to find out why its getting corrupted when its sent.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Mar 20, 2014, 08:57 AM
    Do you have the newest version of Adobe Reader?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 20, 2014, 10:04 AM
    Make sure you have the latest Adobe Reader. You can download the latest for free from adobe.com. If you don't have the latest, that could be the reason for the message.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Mar 20, 2014, 10:16 AM
    Or the file could be actually corrupted.
    Also I find the Adobe Reader to be bloatware, you can try a free reader such as Better than Adobe PDF Reader and Acrobat but be careful on the installation to uncheck some components.
    Some PDFs are created with functionality that only Adobe Reader can use but it's worth a try to use a lightweight reader such as Foxit.
    jamesdann Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Mar 21, 2014, 04:18 AM
    From my experience, either you are not using latest Adobe Reader or your file really get corrupted due to virus.
    Have you tried to open your email attachment on other PC?
    You should first update Adobe Reader and scan your PC for any virus or malware. After that may be you could open your file without any issue.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 21, 2014, 04:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesdann View Post
    or your file really get corrupted due to virus.
    There are other reasons for corruption besides a virus. In fact, any Virus doesn't tend to corrupt individual files they attack access to the system. So, while everyone should be doing regular scans, it is unlikely a virus is causing this issue.
    jamesdann Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Mar 24, 2014, 09:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    There are other reasons for corruption besides a virus. In fact, any Virus doesn't tend to corrupt individual files they attack access to the system. So, while everyone should be doing regular scans, it is unlikely a virus is causing this issue.
    Thanks for correction!!
    Yes,there may be some other reasons for corruption in a PDF file alongwith virus attack on the PC. Due to this I have suggested to open andverify PDF file on other PC.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Create a link in a pdf file for open an Excel file in an specific sheet and cell [ 2 Answers ]

I know how to create a hyperlink in a pdf file that opens an Excel file but I don't know how this link can opens the Excel file in a specific sheet and cell; any ideas?

PDF won't open in IE. [ 6 Answers ]

This is a corporate PC. The employee tries to open a PDF from a carriers website. The new window displays in PDF format, background is grey, appears to be loading (xkb of xkb downloaded in bottom left). Then it says Done and nothing appears. Any ideas. Rick If I save the target to the...

WMP tries to open .pdf files! [ 4 Answers ]

Hi all, my problem as you can see is that Windows Media Player keeps trying to open pdf files:confused: . I've checked all programme defaults and tried re-installing both WMP and Adobe but same thing keeps happening. It's getting me down so someone put me out of my misery... PLEASE! :(

Firefox won't open pdf. [ 15 Answers ]

When I click on a pdf link online using FireFox, I get the error message below. When I click on a pdf link in IE, the pdf opens fine. Am I supposed to do something in Firefox or Adobe to fix the problem. I can't even tell what they're trying to tell me to do! Thanks!

Can't Open PDF File in New Window from Captivate [ 5 Answers ]

I have a Captivate (cp) file where I have a button that should open a new window and open a pdf file. It doesn't work. It just opens my browser. I tried using java script, and it would open a new window, but I can't get the pdf file to show. Any suggestions?

View more questions Search