Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Chris2219 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2014, 04:39 PM
    My girlfriend period hasn't come. Can you help?
    She has been taking migraine meds and she was taking a antiboitic along with her birth control medication. Her doctor said that it was OK. Her period hasn't started (it was suppose too start on Monday and it is now Wednesday). Is she pregnant or are we just stressing out. It had happened before but the period was only like a day late, but it would switch days, meaning it would come Monday, then next period would be Tuesday, and so on, and so fourth. Again can you help?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 19, 2014, 05:03 PM
    Antibiotics make the birth control less effective. Your doctor should have advised you to use back up birth control, like a condom, for the duration of the medication.

Any time you have sex, pregnancy is possible, even if you're using 2 or more forms of birth control. No form is 100% effective. So yes, it's possible that she's pregnant.

Sadly, pregnancy cannot be determined online. The only way to determine pregnancy is with a urine test, a blood test, an ultrasound in later pregnancy, or giving birth. There is no way anyone online can tell you if your girlfriend is pregnant, not even if she's the one asking the question.

Wait until her period is at least 2 weeks late, then test using first morning urine. If that test is negative, wait for her next period. If she misses it, test again or get a blood test done.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 19, 2014, 05:06 PM
    Relax, a woman's menstrual cycle is not always on time like a bus or train. You just have to chill and wait and see. You do use a condom, right? Is she on birth control? Even together they are not 100%. You know that too, right?

So what kind of help did you want?
    Elle16 Posts: 11, Reputation: 5

Mar 19, 2014, 05:20 PM
    Even if she is 1 day late, a pregnancy test can detect it. She should take it as soon as possible so that, if she is pregnant, she can begin pre-natal care to make sure your baby is born as healthy as possible.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 19, 2014, 05:30 PM
    Elle, where do you get your information? Home pregnancy tests are less than 50% accurate during the first week after a missed period. Nor will it hurt the fetus if pre natal vitamins are not started until a month or so after conception. Finally, clearly the OP does not want a child at this time. So what makes you think they would allow it go to full term if they find she is pregnant?

Chris, what do you want help with? We can't tell you whether she is pregnant or not at this time. All we can advise is that you relax and wait until you can accurately take a test.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 19, 2014, 05:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Elle16 View Post
    Even if she is 1 day late, a pregnancy test can detect it. She should take it as soon as possible so that, if she is pregnant, she can begin pre-natal care to make sure your baby is born as healthy as possible.
    Actually, most women do not get a reliable result with a pregnancy test until they're at least 2 weeks late. Even then, many won't get a reliable result then. Many women don't get a reliable result until well into their second trimester. Some never get a positive test, even though they are in fact pregnant.

One day late, when it comes to pregnancy, isn't even considered late. It's very very rare for a woman to get a reliable result only a day after a missed period. Waiting 2 weeks is the best course of action, unless you have money to burn on pregnancy tests, and don't mind wasting money on a test that likely won't be accurate.
    Elle16 Posts: 11, Reputation: 5

Mar 19, 2014, 05:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Elle, where do you get your information? Home pregnancy tests are less than 50% accurate during the first week after a missed period. Nor will it hurt the fetus if pre natal vitamins are not started until a month or so after conception. Finally, clearly the OP does not want a child at this time. So what makes you think they would allow it go to full term if they find she is pregnant?

Chris, what do you want help with? We can't tell you whether she is pregnant or not at this time. All we can advise is that you relax and wait until you can accurately take a test.
    Just because a pregnancy is unplanned, doesn't mean that the baby is not wanted. Why would you assume such a thing? Children are a treasure, and if this gentleman and his girlfriend are not ready to be parents, there are lists of people yearning to adopt and love a child. I may be wrong, because he doesn't say, but if they are teens, teen mothers are a high risk group and prenatal care (not just vitamins) is a good idea.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Mar 19, 2014, 05:49 PM
    Elle 16 Just because YOU got a positive test early on ( a few actually will)... doesn't mean that's common or most women will. Manufacturers make a lot of claims and stretch the truth to within an inch of its life to get market share. Fact is the differences between tests of different manufacturers is not very big... much less significant. The fact remains as was mentioned by others... taking a test before you are 14 days late will result in far more chance of a false negative than if you wait the full 14 days. And even then some women still test negative for much longer even if they do take it correctly and buy the most expensive ones made.
    Chris2219 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2014, 06:11 PM
    Thanks for the help this was my 1st time answering a question ad I got a lot of help waiting on her too get home too take the test. My concern was that she was taking a lot of meds the do said that the birth control should be OK if taking with the antiboitic but her migraine medication I think throws her period of she just started using this medication it is called Amitriptyline her antibiotic was the zpack and her birth control is alled tri nessa any suggestions
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Mar 19, 2014, 06:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris2219 View Post
    She has been taking migraine meds and she was taking a antiboitic along with her birth control medication. Her doctor said that it was OK. Her period hasn't started (it was suppose too start on Monday and it is now Wednesday). Is she pregnant or are we just stressing out. It had happened before but the period was only like a day late, but it would switch days, meaning it would come Monday, then next period would be Tuesday, and so on, and so fourth. Again can you help?
    Hi Chris2219,

Many women will have an off period now and then, and being off by a few days it not unusual... especially if she has been ill. Keep in mind that she has had days slightly off in the past as well and that not all months have the same number of days. Wait several more days, and see if her period shows. If not, have her try a test. With many tests these days, most women will find they are accurate by 2 weeks after ovulation; some sooner, some later. It would be wise for any woman who could become pregnant to take a multivitamin with at least 400 mcg of folic acid (most will have this amount or more). Many foods and drinks are now fortified as well. This helps to prevent certain birth defects that occur very early in a pregnancy, sometimes before a woman would know that she is pregnant. As was said, if you test, and the result is negative, wait until next month to see if her period shows and test again accordingly. Certainly if she doesn't have a period for this month, and feels possible pregnancy symptoms, she should see her doctor.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 19, 2014, 07:12 PM
    Elle, you show me a manufacturers site. But nowhere on their site did I see independent studies confirming their claims. Nor did they say how often the tests are accurate at that time of the cycle. I could show you independent studies that state that the accuracy of HPTs is less than 50% during the first week.

And just because it worked for you does not mean it will work for others.

As to why I would assume the child is not wanted, just look at the question. The girlfriend is taking birth control, they are not married and the OP is nervous that she might be pregnant. Why would you assume the child would be wanted? You are projecting your own personal feelings and experience on someone else. And that is not necessarily being helpful to the OP. And yes adoption is a possibility, but its not the only possibility that they can consider. And again, even in teenagers, not starting pre natal vitamins immediately is not going to materially affect the fetus. Sure the sooner they are started the better. But it won't hurt to wait a bit.

You are new here. We take pride in the quality and accuracy of the advice we give here. Please be more careful in the future to adhere to our standards.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Girlfriend is on vacation and hasn't called [ 9 Answers ]

My girl friend went to Colombia for a month to visit her family,and we talked for the first couple of days,then she said she would call metomorrow. That was 9 days ago and I haven't heard anything. I don't know if she is done with Mr,or maybe she cannot call or Skype with me. She said she was going...

I had sex 5 and 4 days before my period. Now my period hasn't come. Could I be? [ 0 Answers ]

I had sex 5 and 4 days before my period. Its suppose to start the 27th, it is not 6 days late which would be the 2nd. I been feeling bloated, nauseated, tired, my breast hurt and feel full, I been peeing a lot, lower back and abdomen pain. What do you guys think? P.S. If its not a pregnancy what...

My period hasn't come yet ? [ 1 Answers ]

Hey.. Well I'm kind of scared cause my period comes normal on the 27th every month but today's the 2nd. And its been 7days late.. um in vigin and I'm totally scared is it normal or should I be worried?

My girlfriend say's she hasn't been happy. [ 4 Answers ]

My girlfriend and I have been together for 6 weeks and 3 days, it was great at first but now it's weird. I was on the phone to her last night and she said I am not happy, I am negative and put's her down and she hate's it when I am interractive with her mum, commnicating. I suffer Bi-polar and...

View more questions Search