Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Anne Bjorkland Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2014, 09:44 AM
    Is it legal to have people that you do not report to listen to your review
    I had two people in the room when my superiors gave me my annual review. Is that legal to have them as part of the review process. I was not asked if it was OK.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Mar 19, 2014, 09:48 AM
    We need more detail in order to give you a meaningful answer.

Where (what state or country) are you? Is your employer a government agency? Are you working under a union contract? Are there employment policies in place which might govern this sort of thing?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Mar 19, 2014, 11:54 AM
    Also.. what positions in the company did these other people have. And in what departments. (I.E. Were they in Human resources or superiours to your superiors)
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 19, 2014, 12:53 PM
    Unless you are covered by a union contract that specifically precludes this, I don't see how having others in the room during your review would be illegal. It may be a bad business practice, as it obviously made you uncomfortable, but I don't see how it would be illegal. But I'm curious - can you explain the circumstance, who were these people and what explanation was given for their presence?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 19, 2014, 01:17 PM
    I don't know of any laws, at least not in the US, that controls how employers do employee reviews. This is up to the individual company and is controlled by written company policy or employment contract.

So it is not illegal, again, at least not in the US. Whether they violated company policy or your contract, we would need more info to say. Was this your first review with this company? If not, did previous reviews included other people?
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Mar 19, 2014, 04:01 PM
    That would be a sign to me to polish up my resume for probable use in the near future. The only possible reason (that I can think of) to discuss a supervisor's rating in front of that supervisor's subordinates would be to prove to those subordinate's that their complaints about the supervisor were being discussed with the supervisor and that they could expect improvement in the future. They would also be available to verify what was discussed if problems continued. I could be wrong or maybe this is a new management technique I am not aware of, but it way out of the ordinary from my experience.
    Maybe you would get better opinions with some details.
    Edit: I may have incorrectly assumed they were subordinates.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 19, 2014, 04:16 PM
    If they are part of the review board its perfectly legal.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What does being under 'legal review' with a healthcare underwriter mean? [ 3 Answers ]

My wife had a baby recently and has quit her job. She had a BCBS plan with her work. She is attempting to get on the same plan she had through her work with baby included, but obviously an individual plan as opposed to a group plan. For some reason this is taking much longer than we thought and...

How we review boiler pressure parts detail drawing review/read [ 0 Answers ]

How we review boiler pressure parts detail drawing review/read

How do I report income received from a review period extension payment? [ 1 Answers ]

I had a purchase agreement on my home and the buyer paid me $2500 for an extension. How do I report this amount on my taxes?

Where can I post a song so people can listen to identify it? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, Is there a place I can post a recording of a song so that people can help me identify it? I can't attached the file here cause it's too big. Thanks

View more questions Search