Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1503 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2014, 01:06 PM
    Does a construction lien prevent the sale of property in the state of Michigan?
    I recently discovered that a cottage I worked on will be sold for back taxes on April 1 in the state of Michigan. Will a construction lien prevent the sale?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 18, 2014, 01:31 PM
    No - another lien will just add to the creditors who get paid. In what order or in what proportion depends on locale, so you need to ask the tax dept. Taxes will probably be paid off first. Did you file a lien? Will it be sold that day, or just put up for sale then?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 18, 2014, 07:52 PM
    You know, this is NOT REALLY a tax question, but rather a LEGAL question best posted in the LAW Forum.

{Moved}
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Mar 19, 2014, 07:21 AM
    You should consult a Michigan attorney to determine whether your construction lien survives tax foreclosure. For more on the Michigan Construction lien, you might want to look here. The text of the Construction Lien Act is set out here.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I stop the town from a sale for a lien on my house from property taxes [ 3 Answers ]

I need help with a property lean sale on my house because of taxes

What is the price per sqft to clean new construction home in Michigan [ 1 Answers ]

What is the price per sqft to clean new construction home in Michigan.

Sale of out of state inherited property [ 4 Answers ]

I understand for federal capital gains tax on the sale of inherited property that the basis is based on the FMV of the property within 30 days of my father’s death in 2004. Therefore the gain is the difference of the basis vs. the sale price. I am a resident of Colorado and I have property in...

Michigan Construction Lien [ 12 Answers ]

Hello! I'm hoping all of you knowledgeable folks can help me out :) I purchased a new home last year in Michigan. The title work was fine (showed no outstanding liens) and I was able to mortgage the home with no problems. Now, over a year later I receive a summons in the mail. I'm being sued...

How do I close on a construction loan when there is a lien on my property [ 1 Answers ]

I am 10 months pass the maturity date for my construction loan paying interest each month. I am litigation with the builder of my new home, he has put a lien on my home. I want to close on the construction loan and enter into permanent financing without paying the lien. We are in the process of...

View more questions Search