Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    willdell Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2007, 07:16 AM
    Over draft
    Hello my question

Can the bank take money that is not in your account due to an order bieng sent to them from the courts. Then charge you that amount as over draft
    missk Posts: 517, Reputation: 44

Apr 5, 2007, 09:16 PM
    I don't know this for sure but I would think that they can.
    grammadidi Posts: 1,182, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Apr 5, 2007, 09:23 PM
    I know they can in Canada.

Didi
    Matt3046 Posts: 831, Reputation: 128

Apr 5, 2007, 09:25 PM
    A court (judge) can order you to stand on your head, naked and sing Amazing Grace if it wants.

Apr 6, 2007, 07:53 AM
    He is asking about the bank
    grammadidi Posts: 1,182, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Apr 6, 2007, 10:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by missk
    He is asking about the bank
    Actually, he is asking about the bank following a court order.

Didi

Apr 6, 2007, 11:07 PM
    Well then yes the bank has a contract with the "customer" or as I say victim that will cover anything they do. The banks always know how far and what they can "legally" do. So yes They can and will charge you. However in the name of customer relations it may be possible to have some of the charges removed. It won't hurt to call and find out. But you usually only have around 30 to 90 days to complain.The thing is that you signed a very long contract with "the bank", that covers anything that is legal in your state, otherwise they would not try it.

Apr 6, 2007, 11:11 PM
    Ok to sum it up you are a ant being stepped on by two giants at the same time (funny how they both call you MR. or Ms.) it's just one of those things.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 7, 2007, 07:02 AM
    What happens often is that the order will freeze your funds, next if you havve any checks out, not cleared, they will bounce causing you to go into the negative for the amount of each check, and for a overdraft fee on each check.

The account will be froze for the amount of the court order but only the money in the acccount at that time will be given. If you have a savings account for 10,000, and so there is no outstanding checks or withdraws, if the court order is for 20,000 they will freeze the account for 20,000, give them the 10,000 and then you will show a negative 10,000. They haved not given them that money, but if you were to deporit any more money into that account, by direct deposit from work lets say, it goes to satisfy the court order
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 7, 2007, 07:47 AM
    Hello will:

You ask "can they", and of course they can. Do they have the legal right to do that?? It would be my guess that they don't. But, that's a matter between you, your bank, and the account agreement you signed.

However, I wouldn't think the bank is going to do that too often. Why would a bank pay a creditor with your money, AND SOME OF ITS OWN MONEY, with the hope that it can collect its part back from you? I think banks will go broke if they did that.

excon
    iscorpio Posts: 124, Reputation: 17

Apr 7, 2007, 03:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by willdell
    hello my question

can the bank take money that is not in your account due to an order bieng sent to them from the courts. then charge you that amount as over draft
    As I do not know where the outside is, I can only assume that you live on earth, but in the uk it does in fact follow that the bank will pay money and then charge you for being overdrawn, trust me I speak from experience. Don't know if you know that you can now challenge the banks for charging too much in fees, many people are now taking their banks to court on a no win no fee basis because they are only allowed to charge £5 and not the normal £35 that all banks normally charge, take care, love and peace anne x

Apr 7, 2007, 05:23 PM
    Banks have no choice-if they have a court order to freeze the account, that is what they have to do no matter what.
    lsbean Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2007, 11:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by willdell
    hello my question

can the bank take money that is not in your account due to an order bieng sent to them from the courts. then charge you that amount as over draft
    If it is presented to the banks as a request from you and you have a credit line with your checking account I know that they will. The banks consider this a benefit to you and in most cases it is.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Noisy draft regulator [ 4 Answers ]

I have a ThermoPride OH-5 oil furnace about 11 years old. The problem is , the draft regulator is extremely noisy. This occurs regardless of blower running or not, although it is worse when running. I do live on top of a small hill and it is quite windy here. My question is, is there anything that...

Draft fan runs always [ 1 Answers ]

Induce draft fan is on all the time, What can I check so that it will operate the right way?:p

Chimney draft [ 2 Answers ]

Having trouble with getting the draft (smoke) to UP the chimney. It seems to be coming down and into the house. This is not a new fireplace but just started this season.

Back draft preventers [ 2 Answers ]

Anyone know where I can get roof vent back draft preventers to fit 4" PVC?

View more questions Search