Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dannyboy084 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2014, 07:00 AM
    Removing my sister's belongings from my house
    For the year of 2013, my sister and my niece were living with me for $200 a month. In November, I informed her that her rent for 2014 would be going up to $300 a month. She pays rent at the end of every month and her last payment was in December in the amount of $200. She decided to leave all of her belongings at my house and just disappeared without notice in the middle of January 2014. She has not made an effort to come and get her stuff and has not given me any money for rent. It is now the middle of March and I want her stuff out of my house. What do I do? I live in Philadelphia, PA. We do not have any written contracts and she does not receive mail with my address on it. Please Help!
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 18, 2014, 07:16 AM
    Send a certified letter to her known address (yours, if you don't know where she is) stating that as of April 1, her possessions are considered abandoned according to the ordinances where you live. Call the police main number and ask - usually 30, 60, or 90 days.
    There's a small chance that she will come back and claim that she is a tenant and that you didn't evict her by law, even though she left and hasn't paid for 3 months. If you think that's possible, file for eviction at your court house.

Mar 18, 2014, 07:37 AM
    Another thing I forgot to mention, I live in a condo and I am not allowed to legally rent out the property so I wasn't necessarily charging her rent but we had a verbal agreement that she would pay a set amount a month to help out with utilities. I allowed her to stay with me until she could get back on her feet (which still hasn't happened) and she just left out of the blue without her stuff. She is staying with my grandmom now, could I just give her a letter saying she has 30 days to get her stuff or I'm trashing it? Or would I have to go through court?
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Mar 18, 2014, 07:54 AM
    Do not send a letter saying that she has 30 days to get her things or you're trashing it. Since you know where she is, send her a certified letter. Check with your local police office or county clerk office to find out what time frame her things are considered abandoned. As mentioned above it is generally either 30, 60, or 90 days. In the letter tell her when that date is (or was). Then give her x amount of time to get her property.

I would not say "trash" anywhere in the letter.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Mar 18, 2014, 08:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    There's a small chance that she will come back and claim that she is a tenant and that you didn't evict her by law, even though she left and hasn't paid for 3 months. If you think that's possible, file for eviction at your court house.
    She could claim whatever she wants, but in this case the claim would be unfounded. She clearly has moved out and is no longer a tenant. A suit for eviction is unnecessary.

One solution for this kind of situation which has been suggested on this forum in the past: put the stuff in storage and send her the key.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 18, 2014, 08:46 AM
    Yeah what AKL said.

Mar 18, 2014, 04:43 PM
    Thank you everyone for your help! I'm going to start taking action on this ASAP
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 18, 2014, 05:21 PM
    One point to add, your condo association by laws may state that you can't rent the condo. Such a clause generally means that it has to be owner occupied. It doesn't mean you can't take in a roommate. You would have to read the bylaws to see the exact wording to make sure.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My girlfriend went to her ex-husbands house to drop off some of his belongings. [ 2 Answers ]

My girlfriend of almost two years went to her ex-husbands house to drop off some of his belongings the other day. I was gone to the fair. She has two kids with this guy. I texted her asking how the kids were and if it was raining at home. She said she was where she worked because she forgot...

Belongings in ex boyfriends house [ 1 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I were together for over 10 years and lived in a home together for 6 years. The home and utilities were all in his name however I paid utilities and my drivers license had that address as well. I left him and at the time was unable to take all my belongings. Initially he agreed I...

I got locked up for a while my wife stayed with the house and all our belongings [ 2 Answers ]

All I want to know is I'm going to get a divorce from her but she thinks she gets everything.its a little complicated because all of the belongings is worth about 50'000 that's furniture cars also all my tools .the thing is she didn't pay for anything. I tried to talk and say lets split it half...

My crude (sometimes violent)sister steals belongings, and doesn't acknowledge it [ 6 Answers ]

My younger sister has been stealing my belongings for a good 4 years now. Normally, this would sound like a younger sister simply "borrowing" my clothing deal, but it is becoming detrimental to my relationship with her (I no longer trust her), fuels many fights, and makes me loathe being in the...

Removing a 21 yr old daughter`s belongings from the property.she is out of here [ 4 Answers ]

We have a 21 yr old that has moved out and changed her addy.. but when asked to remove her belongings, says I will in a week... lol when that weeks up... I will in a week... this has been going on since August! We have given her written notice we will start charging storage fees etc. says she...

View more questions Search