Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MrDenial Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2014, 09:32 PM
    When does statute of limitations start on outstanding credit card debt in ontario
    If the creditor buys the debt for say 20 cents on the dollar. Can they actually sue you for the full amount of the outstanding debt?

If they bought say a $20,000 dollar debt for $4,000 in what total amount are they legally allowed to sue you for?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 17, 2014, 09:40 PM
    They can sue for the full 20,000. They own the debt.

The older the debt, and the less chance of collection, the cheaper it sells for.
    Sometimes it will sell for 10 cents on the dollar. But they can and do try to collect the full amount. This is a common practice.

What they pay for the debt has nothing to do with it at all.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 18, 2014, 04:47 AM
    Your post title asks a different question than your body. Generally the SOL starts with the last transaction activity on the account. Either a payment or charge.

Why would you think what a creditor paid for the debt limits what they can sue for? Why would people buy debt if they couldn't collect the full amount. The fact that a debt was sold for less than its face value has no bearing on the amount of the debt or what they can sue for. With interest and fees, the amount can sometimes double and triple.

However, if the creditor paid a fraction of the face value of the debt, they would be more inclined to settle for a lesser amount rather than go to court.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Credit card debt and statute in Ontario, Canada [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, writing from Toronto, Ont, Can, and hoping for some speedy advice to ease my mind. I've read a number of the related posts, but am looking for confirmation about my particular case: I received a written notice today from a collections agency stating that I owe just over $5000 on a credit...

Credit Card Debt, Statute of Limitations, Ontario [ 2 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me what the statue of limitions is for credit card debt incurred several years ago in Ontario. If anyone can provide a Ontario Statue link it would be appreciated.

What exactly is the statute of limitations on credit card debt in NY? [ 6 Answers ]

I need to find credible internet citations. Preferably ones whose content is written by law professionals in lay terms. Thank you.

View more questions Search