Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aditya999 Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2014, 12:32 PM
    Difference between interest accrued and earned.
    Does 1099-INT or 1099-OID contain interest earned (already paid) or interest accrued (yet to be paid) for certificate of deposit type of bank accounts? Are we supposed to pay taxes to IRS on interest earned (paid) or accrued? Is this true even with foreign (non-U.S. bank) accounts?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 17, 2014, 02:15 PM
    Interest on Original Issue Discount (OID) bonds is taxable as it accrues, even though you don't receive an actual interest payment until you sell the bond or it matures. US issuers of OID bonds shoud progvide you with a 1099-OID to document the taxable accrued interest. Be sure to add these accruals to your cost basis, so that when the bond sells you don't get hit with capital gains tax on top of the taxable interest you've already paid. For foreign bonds I doubt that you will receive a 1099-OID, so you should try to determine the correct amount from account statements. If you pay taxes on these investment in the foreign country don't forget to take the foreign tax credit.

Interest reported on a 1099-INT is interest actually paid, and generally does not include any interest accrued.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Accrued interest expense [ 1 Answers ]

I have a list of accounts in the unadjusted Trial Balance. I have to prepare the adjusting journal entries assuming they are prepared annually. I AM NOT SURE ON ENTRIES The list is as follows:Cash /Accounts receivable/ Merchandise Inventory/ Supplies /Land /Building/ Accumulated...

Accrued interest revenue [ 3 Answers ]

home work question comp holds a 90 day receivable of 10,000 from a customer. The note is dated oct 31 and has a 12% interest rate. Your comp year ends on dec 31. How much interest revenue do you accrue on dec 31? I said 10,000X.12= 1200*2/12=200 my answer is 200, am I correct

Accrued Interest on Loan [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am reluctantly preparing some basic financial statements for my boss! I have prepared an ETB with one outstanding issue - A large loan was made during the year and interest has been subsequently agreed on it - I therefore need to accrue for the interest but what is the entry required for...

View more questions Search