Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    idontwanttofail Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2014, 09:58 PM
    I have very high standards and expectations for my future, but...
    I have very high standards and expectations for my future, but... I'm not doing anything to reach those goals those dreams... I have a 3.7 gpa (currently in my junior year of highschool) I am overweight and I have "bad" friends. Although I have a good gpa as of now, I am sure it is going to lower drastically once I end my junior year plus I have not done any type of prepping for aps or the SAT or the sat subject tests.. I hate myself for not being the happy student that gets home everyday does homework and sleeps at a decent time... I get home, eat, watch 4-5 episodes of a show and then start homework and then sleep at like 2-3 am. I do my hw while talking to my friends and I barely pay attention.. I always get other peoples homework, and I get horrible grades on tests. The thing is I reaaallllyy want to succeed but I still can't get myself to physically do all of this.. all I do is get stressed out every single day cry every single day and do everything but do what I want to do. Someone help me please
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 16, 2014, 10:17 PM
    I don't hear someone who 'really wants to succeed.' I hear someone who is either expected to succeed by family, or who wants the perks of success handed to you on a silver platter.
    I'd like to suggest that you drop the idea of success as you know it. A high gpa is nice for now, but it isn't what life is about. Life is about doing what interests you, with just enough financial reality mixed in to enable you to make a living. It doesn't sound like you have dreams of being a scientist or college professor, so tell us - what do you fantasize being, and what sorts of careers do you think about? It's good to have far fetched plans as long as you also keep both feet on the ground. For every actor, singer, or astronaut, there are thousands of good jobs that support them. Can you tell us some?

You (like so many others) aren't getting enough SLEEP, and this is dangerous for a teen brain. Clearly you go in your room, have your own TV and phone and computer, and do what you want, without parental direction. Since they aren't doing it, you have to be your own parent, which you will when you leave home anyway. Might as well start now. Put your foot down and do homework FIRST, stay off the phone (90% of which is pure drivel, right?), and be asleep by 11! And brag about it to family and friends. This will be the first self discipline of your life and it should feel good.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 17, 2014, 03:33 AM
    It is OK, someone has to work at Burger King and McDonalds, so you can have a new career goal.

It is your choice, you change friends, start gong to bed and do what is right,
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Mar 17, 2014, 05:53 AM
    Stop "getting other peoples homework". It's theirs to do... not yours.

As has been mentioned... you really don't have high expectations or standards for yourself if you take no steps to follow through. That makes you a day dreamer.. and nothing more.

Do your homework when you first get home... then its over with, the rest of the eving will be free... THEN you can watch TV or talk for rfriends. And go to bed at a reasonible hour... meaning BEFORE 11pm.

You will find your brain works a lot better when you are rested.

Your future really is in your hands... you can be a slacker... working a Walmart (as a carreer) and living in a clapped out trailer park. Or you can have a really good job and be upwardly mobile... living in a nice house and driving a nice car... but you have to really work hard for those. You won't get any of them coasting through life.
    Homegirl 50 Posts: 10,794, Reputation: 2604
    Dating & Teen Expert

Mar 17, 2014, 06:44 AM
    All of this is in your hands. If you know what you want to do, what you have to do to do better, Do it!
    How long has this been going on?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does furniture at Ikea meet high quality standards? If not, where can I buy cheap bu [ 2 Answers ]

Does furniture at Ikea meet high quality standards? If not, where can I buy cheap but durable furniture?

I want to please my mom, but her expectations are just too high, what do I do? [ 2 Answers ]

I absolutely love my mother, and I won't pretend that I'm without fault, but it seems like everything I do just isn't good enough. I'm starting to think it's true. I'm not looking for pity, or something I can shove in her face and tell her to back off, but I would really like some help so that I...

Salary expectations [ 4 Answers ]

I have an interview about salaries in UK as a nurse. I donīt know have any knowledge. Please help. Tnx

Standards for Others too High? [ 15 Answers ]

I have noticed that I have a strong personal bias against people who cheat in relationships. I hear people talking up their "activities, and it makes me disgusted with them. I often feel like I have no use for these types of people in my life. I know their decisions do not reflect on me, but...

Is it my weight? Or are my expectations to high? [ 2 Answers ]

Well I'm 16. I live with my dad and my two older brothers so there's no one to talk to about this so... I go to a very small private school (around 32 high schoolers). I am 5'10" and I weigh 189. I don't really know anyone outside of my school and I have never had a boyfriend or even been asked out...

View more questions Search