Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Pmwalley Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2014, 06:41 PM
    3 1/2 years in braces and the 12 yr molars are just coming in
    My stepdaughter has had her metal braces on for 3 1/2 yrs. 4 months ago we were told her wisdom teeth were impacted ( ended up getting them surgically removed ) and her molars were not in yet. They are just now coming in.
    I am concerned that her teeth may be getting damaged having braces on for another year ( the likely recommendation coming from the ortho ) and I want to get them off before damage is done.

Her teeth were we're not that badly aligned to start with to warrant 3 plus years of metal mouth
    What questions do I need to ask the dr. On our next visit?

Pat
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Mar 16, 2014, 07:47 PM
    An orthodontist has already taken x-rays and has made room for the teeth coming in. I'm sure he or she has anticipated for the molars coming in. I'd ask how much longer the braces will be on. I can tell you from it own experience that I had my braces on much longer than that and so did my children. We all had X-rays taken annually and we always knew approximately how much longer we had to go. I'll venture to say that she had her braces on at a young age and she'll end up with bands on those new molars coming in to keep the teeth in alignment.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Black dot on molars [ 2 Answers ]

I was looking inside my mouth (I got distracted while doing make up) and I noticed I had a black dot on the side of one of my bottom molars (third from my canine) at first I thought it was something I'd eaten so I tried brushing my teeth but it was still there, after a bit more poking and scraping...

My dentist wants to crown my molars with large fillings. Valid? [ 3 Answers ]

The dentist says the filled molars are likely to crack. This will make the tooth unable to be crowned and would have to be pulled. To preempt this problem he wants to crown them now. I am 51 and the teeth seem in decent shape. I believe the dentist removed the old metal fillings and put these...

Dentist failed to put sealents on teens molars [ 9 Answers ]

I have a 14-year-old son who has not had any cavities in 5 years. We went to his (new) dentist for a routine 6-month cleaning and were told he had four cavities on the top of his back 4 molars. The dentist wondered why sealents were not applied, so she pulled out his old x-rays from 6 months ago...

Filing Molars? [ 2 Answers ]

I got my braces off about a year ago, but had to get them put back on due to a faulty retainer that rotated one of my molars and made my bite open (unusual situation, I know). The molar is now almost in the correct position again, but the tooth is oddly shaped and larger than the molar on the other...

When do you think my braces are coming off? [ 1 Answers ]

I got my braces by the end of August last year. My orthodontist said it'll take about a year so I was expecting for them to be off in August of this year. My next appointment is August 3rd and I usually go every month. I have clear on the top and the regular ones on the bottom. He is trying to...

View more questions Search