Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    asutoshwagh Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2007, 06:35 AM
    Query regarding filing extension(4868) for income tax
    Hi,
    I have applied for ITIN (form W7) for my spouse as well as filed the federal return (form 1040) along with it and mailed it to the Internal Revenue Service ITIN operations on March 9th 2007. They say that it normally takes 4-6 weeks for the processing.

One thing that I want to add is I have to claim refund on both the federal as well as state returns.
    1) So my query is do I need to file for extension by filing form 4868 because my worry is that ITIN won't be available by April 15th 2007?

2) If I need to file for extension how can I do that online because the form ask for Spouse SSN/ITIN no which I don't have ?

Thanks
    Asutosh
    Mobea Posts: 220, Reputation: 15

Apr 3, 2007, 12:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by asutoshwagh
    Hi,
    I have applied for ITIN (form W7) for my spouse as well as filed the federal return (form 1040) along with it and mailed it to the Internal Revenue Service ITIN operations on March 9th 2007. They say that it normally takes 4-6 weeks for the processing.

One thing that I want to add is I have to claim refund on both the federal as well as state returns.
    1) So my query is do I need to file for extension by filing form 4868 because my worry is that ITIN won't be available by April 15th 2007?

2) If I need to file for extension how can I do that online because the form ask for Spouse SSN/ITIN no which I dont have ?

thanks
    asutosh
    You do not have to file an extension for your federal taxes. You have already filed your tax return. The IRS processes both the application for ITIN and your 1040 at the same time. If you are due a refund, then that should have been reflected on your 1040 when you filed it. You may want to file an extension with your state return as sometimes it confuses states to process a return without an SSN/ITIN number. Since you know that you are due a refund from the state, then there is no harm in filing an extension.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 13, 2007, 12:03 PM
    Agreed, if the state in which he lives accepts extensions.

Some states require the filing of the federal extension as the ONLY filing they will accept. Hence, filing a federal extension (Form 4868) may be the only way to get the extension from the state.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

General Tax Query related to Federal and State Tax and Filing Status. [ 3 Answers ]

I am a Married Indian resident. I had visited US in 2006 twice on H1B. I have never been to US earlier. Period of Visit: March 2006-April2006 approx 44 Days - Income from NY. Stayed in NJ August 2006 – Sept 2006 approx 32 Days. - Income from NJ. Stayed in NJ My company paid the salary...

Tax query for no income F1 students [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I was an F1 student for the last two years and presently on OPT. I did not have any income during my F1 status. But I just came to know that there is some form that I need to file even for such cases. Could someone help with the type of forms and also the time frame for which they can be...

Complicated state tax filing between NY and NJ and missed filing from last year [ 1 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I am really confused and would appreciate some feedback into how I should proceed with my taxes. My background: I am a non-resident alien, Canadian citizen who is a masters student studying and residing in NJ. During 2006, I worked on campus for a few months and receieved a W2 for...

Income Tax on Social Security & Interest Income [ 1 Answers ]

I collect SS, withdraw interest income monthly and sell real estate. I am wondering since my interest income & real estate commissions exceed the SS allowable income cap of $12,000 will my SS for the next year be reduced? Will my real estate expenses be deductible from taxes owed on my...

Income Tax Extension [ 1 Answers ]

I filed for an extension in April for my 2005 taxes. How long is the extension for? When is the dealdine for me to file by now?

View more questions Search