Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fixacr Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2014, 08:35 PM
    Header post support
    I am putting an addition on the rear of my house. The plans call for the removal of portions of one existing load bearing wall. I have determined the proper header size and construction, but I am unsure of acceptable methods of supporting the header at one end. If the end of the header is NOT directly over a foundation wall, is it acceptable to sister additional floor joists to provide support for the post?
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Mar 16, 2014, 12:41 PM
    How close to the foundation is the header post?

If you are removing part of a bearing wall then you should be over the foundation unless you are changing the direction of the header.

Chuck
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Mar 16, 2014, 02:53 PM
    Unless your house was built without a permit or previously remodeled, I have never seen a bearing wall that didn't sit on the main beam under the house or the foundation wall. Can you explain your situation a bit more? Are you talking about a wall that ends in between a joist?
    dannac Posts: 267, Reputation: 9

Mar 18, 2014, 04:30 PM
    Ultra Member

Mar 18, 2014, 04:59 PM
    Nice drawings, dannac. But that does not show a bearing wall. There is no support to foundation or girder.

Chuck
    dannac Posts: 267, Reputation: 9

Mar 18, 2014, 06:15 PM
    Ultra Member

Mar 19, 2014, 07:43 AM
    I think we need a response from fixacr to get more detail on his layout. How far from bearing wall is header support?

The distance between the lower bearing wall and the post holding the header will have to be determined by a certified architect or construction engineer. And approved by building dept.

Chuck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

16 foot header support [ 2 Answers ]

What size header do I need for a 16 foot span between the living room and kitchen? This is a support wall.

Post child support after age 19 [ 1 Answers ]

Out of 19 years, I have never been late or missed a child support payment (with no arrears) My daughter just turned 19 and a high school senior in Alabama. DHR stated that a post education extension was not file before her 19th birthday. Also, DHR stated that a post request could have been file...

Post mior child support [ 1 Answers ]

My wife and her ex-husband divorced back in 1997. Her son attended a 2yr technical school in 2006 and 2007. She took a pel loan out for him but never had her ex help sign or pay for the loan. She is still paying for it. Can she legally have her ex help pay for this loan now after all these years?

View more questions Search