Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    collegian Posts: 57, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2014, 10:00 AM
    Regarding credits for taxes paid to other states
    Hello,

I am trying to file my state income taxes. I work in one state and live in another. I first filled the income tax of the state where I am working.

Now, when I am filling the income tax of the state where I am residing, I get a question asking me to enter any amount of 2013 tax actually paid to other state(s).

Let's say I had an underpayment of $40 in the state where I am working. In this case, will the credit be $40 or will be ($40 + income tax withheld in the state where I am working)?

Thanks.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 15, 2014, 10:13 AM
    You need to determine you overall tax liability to the other state where you worked, and enter that amount on your resident state tax return.

Yyou know, more specific instructions are possible if you identify the states.

Mar 15, 2014, 10:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert View Post
    You need to determine you overall tax liability to the other state where you worked, and enter that amount on your resident state tax return.

Yyou know, more specific instructions are possible if you identify the states.
    I am not sure what you mean by overall tax liability. Is it the grand sum of taxes paid to the work state (withheld+paid)? The resident state is Kansas and work state is Missouri.
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 15, 2014, 10:47 AM
    You would show what your actual Missouri tax was, which can be found on Line #25 of Missouri Form MO-1040.

Mar 15, 2014, 11:05 AM
    Thanks! So, it's the total tax (withheld + underpayment).
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 15, 2014, 11:12 AM
    Yes, that IS correct!

Glad to help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Choosing resident alien status, Foreign tax credits and States credits? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello everyone I just find this forum and get lots of useful information of Dual-status for US tax return and foreign tax credits, thank you for all your guys, but I still have some questions want to ask for this two topics including state tax. I already read P519 ,I think we can do married...

I paid taxes for 2007, now have amended refund, what about money I paid [ 1 Answers ]

I paid $4000 with taxes for 2007, now have amended refund of $5300. Should I received back money with an original return I paid?

If my taxex have been filed but not paid do I get work credits [ 3 Answers ]

If my taxes have been filed but not paid do I get work credits

Why my NJ tax state is not nullifed by taxes paid to other states? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I was working in Maryland from January to December 15 2007. On Decemeber 16, I moved to Hoboken, New Jersey, and started a new job in New York city on December 17 until now. I need to file MD, NJ, and NY state taxes. 3 months ago, I was told by an attorney that I will pay no NJ state...

Spouse full time residents in separate states : states taxes? [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I got married in Dec 2006. He was a full time CA resident in 2006 and still lives there and got income only from CA. I was a fulltime Kentucky resident in 2006 and still live here and got my income only from KY. We can file federal taxes jointly. But what do we do for state...

View more questions Search