Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    russharv63 Posts: 65, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2014, 05:17 AM
    What can be done if your employer refuses to release your w-2 form?
    My wife"s former employer refuses to release her w-2 form. She has tried to get them every way possible. We have contacted our local IRS office and they said all they can do is send him a letter. We live in Virginia. What options are left if this doesn't work? I already know about form 4852 but we are determined to get her w-2 form.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 15, 2014, 08:29 AM
    Why is he refusing? The IRS can issue fines for failure to provide a W2 (The Penalties of Failing to File a W-2 | eHow) but they are minor.

However, you do not need the w2 to file your tax return. You can use figures from the last pay check.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 15, 2014, 10:09 AM
    The pay stub can be used with Form 4852, but it requires that the tax return be mailed,
    russharv63 Posts: 65, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2014, 11:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Why is he refusing? The IRS can issue fines for failure to provide a W2 (The Penalties of Failing to File a W-2 | eHow) but they are minor.

However, you do not need the w2 to file your tax return. You can use figures from the last pay check.

He is refusing because my wife was fired and had unemployment benefits appeals and workers compensation issues and now we have a EEOC charge pending with his business. So I would say he is not releasing them because of our legal issues.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 15, 2014, 11:42 AM
    Your legal issues with him are immaterial. Unless there is a dispute in the wages paid, he is required to submit one. I would tell them that under federal law you will be asking the IRS to penalize him for failure to comply.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 15, 2014, 11:51 AM
    I have noticed you have asked this question repeatedly and at some point will have to do what you can without the W-2's from this employer.

No need more multiple threads about the same thing. Responses will seldom change.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 15, 2014, 12:33 PM
    Submit the return using Form 4852 and the payslip and get on with your life. It should only delay your refund by, at most, six weeks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Landlord refuses to release rental history [ 4 Answers ]

My landlord refuses to release my rental history until I gave a 30 day notice to vacate. When I gave such notice they still didn't release my information. The house I was trying to move into was sold to another buyer since my information couldn't be obtained. Is this legal?

How can I get my paychecks when my employer refuses to give it to me [ 3 Answers ]

I worked for a company they hired me I only had a copy of my ID and they told me that's fine as long as I get my Id within 2 weeks of being hired I started to work an they reffuse to give me my check,I talked to the person in charge of the payroll and she told me the same thing that I need my id I...

Employer Refuses to Pay [ 5 Answers ]

I have made every effort to get my final paycheck from my former employer. They refuse to send it. My next step is small claims court. Can I sue for court costs?

Landlord refuses to release rental history [ 8 Answers ]

I'm in Oregon and I've been renting a house from a property management company for the past 18 months and am now month-to-month. My rent is now too expensive so I applied at an apartment complex, and after a week or so I received a call from the complex saying that the property management company...

Clinton refuses to release pardon papers [ 3 Answers ]

Archivists at the Clinton Libray are blocking the release of hundreds of pages of White House papers on pardons that he had approved for release; (or so he said) , including papers related toMarc Rich's pardon. Archivists block release of Clinton papers - USATODAY.com But we...

View more questions Search