Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mhoward7198 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2014, 06:26 PM
    1040x response letter
    So i filed a 1040x for 2011. I received a response today stating "Thank you for your correspondence...you dont need to do anything else for now. We will contact you within 60 days to let you know what action we are taking." My question is, can I file my 2013 taxes before I hear from them again? I expect that filing my 2013 taxes will yield a greater return than what I will owe from 2011. Should I wait to file or will they treat them separately or will it just confuse the matter and delay my return (from 2013)? Thanks!
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Mar 14, 2014, 06:49 PM
    Don't hold up filing BUT, If you are getting money back, or certainly expect to, you don't need to meet the 4/15 deadline. They will gladly hold your money! If you file your 2013 on line, you will get your money back well within the 60 days they mention.
    mhoward7198 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2014, 07:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ma0641 View Post
    Don't hold up filing BUT, If you are getting money back, or certainly expect to, you don't need to meet the 4/15 deadline. They will gladly hold your money! If you file your 2013 on line, you will get your money back well within the 60 days they mention.
    But I expect to owe for 2011 and get a refund for 2013. The refund for 2013 is more than what I'll owe for 2011. Will they send the difference or treat them separately ? When I refilled for 2011 it was a different amount than the bill they had sent me so should I wait to see if its accepted before I file for 2013?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Mar 14, 2014, 07:39 PM
    Not sure how the IRS functions regarding this issue. I would go and file 2013.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 14, 2014, 10:37 PM
    It depends on how fast the IRS processes the Form 1040X.

file the 2013 tax return. If you get the refund, hold it to pay the 2011 amendment when the IRS bills you.

If not, the IRS will apply what you owe against the 2011 tax and send you the difference.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Letter to response to termination contract [ 1 Answers ]

I need to write a letter responding to a termination contract

Response letter template to summons? [ 0 Answers ]

Do I have to court and ask them for an extension of Motion?

Summons response letter [ 0 Answers ]

I just got a summons, lawsuit filed against me. It is from HSBC Bank, credit card account. Please can I have a copy of a response letter to the court for a debt? I can't afford a lawyer. I can't make ends meets. I turned this card over to a Debt collector company to make deals with them. I...

Need summon response letter [ 2 Answers ]

I need a sample letter on how to reply to summon? I received this yesterday and I don't know what to do. It's just a small claim from the creditor. Please help!

See his response to my love letter what do I do now [ 1 Answers ]

Baby, I feel what you're telling me I truly do. It's just so difficult For me sometimes. I trust you will be there for me but at the same time I think you're getting the short end of the deal. Life is hard on its Own why complicate it more. I don't doubt our love. I doubt that we can Actual...

View more questions Search