Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stuckerhex Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2014, 10:12 AM
    Stuck in a probably common teen mess
    Hello I am new here and hope its not wrong if I come straight to the point. I'm currently 19 and will turn 20 in next two months. Since I was 16 I had this huge crush on my college friend whom I grew good friends with because I didn't believe (still don't, tell me if wrong) of entering a relationship without knowing a person. I proposed her when we were 17 which she declined but we stayed friends. I got into another relationship where I dated around 7months but it turned out it was one sided which really crushed me.

Surprisingly me and my previous crush joined same college for graduation. Now 18, she became my closest friend and helped me heal through my break up which took me more than a year cause I was damn serious. During this process everything I used to like about her kept coming back to me. I thought it was a rebound thing of my mind so I didn't ask her out again. Also I was afraid of losing the closest person I had, and mainly who understood me. Being a poet I just kept spitting my stuff in rhymes and raps.

We are 19 now and I'm done with the rebound thing and all and the only person who captures my attention is her. I have tried flirting with others and get into something casual but I couldn't go forward to any possible relationship because all I can think of is her. Our families too have grown close to each other. As far as I have even become friends with her distant cousins! Now I'm not thinking of marriage or sex, but the thing is I am madly in love with her, all time I think of her, whatever I want to do involves her but I know she is not into me and considers me only as her close friend.

I try going away from her knowing that I'm just hurting myself but being classmates and staying in vicinity we have to do projects together and I can't run away from her. I feel no better than a devil when she asks for my help and I have to refuse her so I just can't do that. How should I be with her and yet not love her when all I think about is her and most time I spend with is her too?
    Homegirl 50 Posts: 10,794, Reputation: 2604
    Dating & Teen Expert

Mar 13, 2014, 10:19 AM
    I think you have a crush and you are close to her. It is all hard I'm sure but you can distance yourself and find other things to do. You need to broaden your horizons and do more things that don't involve her. Stop writing so much poetry about her, all that does is causes you to fixate on her.

Mar 13, 2014, 10:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Homegirl 50 View Post
    It is all hard I'm sure but you can distance yourself and find other things to do. You need to broaden your horizons and do more things that don't involve her.
    Could you suggest what I should do? I'm sorry if it sounds lame but I am in such a dazed state right now. We are as I said classmates and live nearby hence we are allotted projects together and often even stay over at nights to finish the same. For her I'm her close friend so she expects me to be there for her. If I tell her the true state of my mind I'm sure I will lose her.
    Homegirl 50 Posts: 10,794, Reputation: 2604
    Dating & Teen Expert

Mar 13, 2014, 10:30 AM
    You can stop the stay overs for one thing. Just because you are her friend, it does not mean you have to be there for her all the time. You tell her "sorry I have plans" You don't have to be her puppy. I have a really good friend as well, but she does not expect me to be there for her all the time. I have a life apart from her. That is what you need to do.

Mar 13, 2014, 10:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Homegirl 50 View Post
    You don't have to be her puppy.
    Hurt a bit but definitely what you say is true. I feel such a cry baby right now. Thanks though :)
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Mar 13, 2014, 10:34 AM
    I agree with Homegirl 50. Women do not find guys So fixated on a person they are writing poetry and such when they are only friends as being appealing... its more likely than anything to send her running away. Its seen as weaknes and not strength which would be appealing to most women. I'm sure you have seen people (doesn't matter if it's a male or female) that follows someone around like a puppy dog that really doesn't feel anything for them. I know I've seen many. That's you at this point.

Its not exactly like you've been dating for years... your never really dated so this is a fixation, a crush... it might even become an obsession if it hasn't crossed that line yet... (which is a very bad thing).

I see many unhealthy things here that if she was aware of you would probibly lose an otherwise good friendship over.

Mar 13, 2014, 10:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    Its not exactly like you've been dating for years... your never really dated so this is a fixation, a crush... it might even become an obsession if it hasn't crossed that line yet... (which is a very bad thing).

I see many unhealthy things here that if she was aware of you would probibly lose an otherwise good friendship over.
    . Unhealthy things like?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 13, 2014, 10:51 AM
    My friend, you need a whole lot of other things and people in your life besides her and the many projects you have together. Be aware that as long as your feelings are deeper than hers this friendship thing is toxic and makes you her love slave which she gladly depends on. That's not healthy and keeps you stuck being helpful, but miserable. Learn to say no, or cut back your help to suggestions and get a real life for yourself.

You seem to be a friend of convenience rather than true substance. Make time for yourself besides her. You are just to wrapped up. Friends should be glued together, or even so available all the time. Cut the leash to her YOU have created. Hell, you can't even be honest enough to tell her you are a lousy friend at this time because you are too attached to her and want more than to be just friends, and project buddies.

I think I would rather lose a friend, than lose myself.
    Uber Member

Mar 13, 2014, 10:52 AM
    THis obsession over here that you are writing poetry about her... couples deeply in love might do it... friends don't.

The long term obsession you have with her even as you dated other people... \

THose are the two that stand out the most to me.

It wouldn't be unusual to think... I like her, I'd like to ask her out... and maybe even not act on it for weeks or months... but hanging around YEARS harboring this desire to do exactly what she's already said no to... hoping beyond hope she will change her mind if you just wait a little longer.

Am I wrong there? Have you in your mind planned out lives together and such? I'm guessing probibly.

You have dated a few others... but she appears first on your mind... and as such might have doomed those relationships as you probibly measure them up to her.

Am I very far off on this? I'm not saying that to be mean... I'm doing it to let you see how this appears to others... so manybe you can see a little more clear yourself.

WHat most people do is if a woman that strikes their fancy turns them down... they gracefully accept it and forcus their attention on others. And its also a very good reason to not obsess over someone for very long before you ask them out and find out if they are interested or not... the longer you take and the longer you dwell the more its going to hurt if it doesn't turn out the way you want.

And its also not a waiting game... thinking that if you just wait long enough they will begin to see your way... that makes people think about other people that you see and hear about on the news that do bad things.

A lot of people make this mistake at some point in their lves... you learn from it and move on.

Mar 13, 2014, 10:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    My friend, you need a whole lot of other things and people in your life besides her and the many projects you have together. Be aware that as long as your feelings are deeper than hers this friendship thing is toxic and makes you her love slave which she gladly depends on. That's not healthy and keeps you stuck being helpful, but miserable. Learn to say no, or cut back your help to suggestions and get a real life for yourself.

You seem to be a friend of convenience rather than true substance. Make time for yourself besides her. You are just to wrapped up. Friends should be glued together, or even so available all the time. Cut the leash to her YOU have created. Hell, you can't even be honest enough to tell her you are a lousy friend at this time because you are too attached to her and want more than to be just friends, and project buddies.

I think I would rather lose a friend, than lose myself.
    You have given me tons to think about. Couldn't have asked for a better help. I will try to fix this I'm in. thanks so much. Indebted to all of you :)

Mar 13, 2014, 10:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    THis obsession over here that you are writing poetry about her... couples deeply in love might do it... friends don't.

The long term obsession you have with her even as you dated other people... \

THose are the two that stand out the most to me.

It wouldn't be unusual to think... I like her, I'd like to ask her out... and maybe even not act on it for weeks or months... but hanging around YEARS harboring this desire to do exactly what she's already said no to... hoping beyond hope she will change her mind if you just wait a little longer.

Am I wrong there? Have you in your mind planned out lives together and such? I'm guessing probibly.

You have dated a few others... but she appears first on your mind... and as such might have doomed those relationships as you probibly measure them up to her.

Am I very far off on this? I'm not saying that to be mean... I'm doing it to let you see how this appears to others... so manybe you can see a little more clear yourself.

WHat most people do is if a woman that strikes their fancy turns them down... they gracefully accept it and forcus their attention on others. And its also a very good reason to not obsess over someone for very long before you ask them out and find out if they are interested or not... the longer you take and the longer you dwell the more its going to hurt if it doesn't turn out the way you want.

And its also not a waiting game... thinking that if you just wait long enough they will begin to see your way... that makes people think about other people that you see and hear about on the news that do bad things.

A lot of people make this mistake at some point in their lves... you learn from it and move on.
    Crap. Wow. This site removes words like S*H*I*T and all but I swear you couldn't be more correct
    Uber Member

Mar 13, 2014, 11:10 AM
    People rarely think to put themselves in someone else's shoes... which is why you sometimes hear people say that about something. "Put yourself in their shoes"

Sometimes that's all it takes for someone to see the problem themselves. It's a valuable and simple tool to use from time to time... and it can help you in many different things in life.

Its easy to lose sight of things when you focus so strongly on something you develop tunnel vision. Having the forsight to step back and reasess things from time to time is useful. Not just in relationships, but everything.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I feed two 33KV HT Panels through a common HT Cable coming from a common supply ? [ 2 Answers ]

In a Existing industrial setup, there is a 33kV HT Panel feeding one Transformer, Due to expansion, we need to install one more 2500kVA Trasformer and 33KV HT Panel, can I fed the new HT Panel through existing HT Cable by looping both the HT panels with same HT cable... Is it possible and safe??

How do you compose common size balance sheets and common-base balance sheets? [ 0 Answers ]

How do you compose common size balance sheets and common base balance sheets? How do you convert the assets, inventory, accts rec'v, etc into a percent?

I can't get over him and I want to. And now I'm stuck in a big mess. [ 1 Answers ]

So I was going out with this guy and we were together off and on for 3 months. My mon doesn't like him so she wouldn't let me be with him and he told me to fix it and I told him if I had to fix it then I couldn't be with him for a bit so we broke up and then after I got things together he told me...

Stuck in a mess of boys. [ 5 Answers ]

Okay so there are these three guys. And they all like me. And I like all three too. And I don't know which one to choose. I will feel bad to hurt one of them, because I like them so much. I don't know which one to choose. :( What do I do

Help! Stuck in a mess of bad wiring! [ 12 Answers ]

Hello all, hope you can offer some trade secrets and help me out here... This weekend I helped a friend add a light fixture in his remodeled basement. The project was simple and straightforward (ha ha ha). A hole in the wall exposed a modern 12/2 line feeding an outlet. We removed the...

View more questions Search