Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TDH83 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2014, 07:56 AM
    Wall In Garage
    I am thinking of building a cinder block exterior to wall off my existing basement. Once I remove the existing garage door can I start building the wall on the existing floor if it is already level to the exterior of the home? I do not need anything fancy looking on the outside. My drive way is so sloped going in that I was going to enclose the garage with cinder block and fill in part of the sloped driveway with dirt for a small garden on the side of my front yard. I want to make sure that the wall will be able to withstand this load. The area of the dirt is only going to be 1 sq yard if I fill it in. If that helps anyone's answers. Thanks in advance for any advice or tips.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Mar 12, 2014, 08:00 AM
    You do realize most places this is going to require a permit before you even start... and not just because you are creating "living space" . A garage is not considered living space.
    TDH83 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2014, 11:03 AM
    I do know that I will have to get a permit for home improvement. Right now I am in the planning phase and am looking for advise on how I can do this myself. If I can not I am going to look for someone to do it for me. I am trying to see if this is something that I can do myself.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Mar 12, 2014, 12:09 PM
    Do you know how to do electrical work... framing, and sheetrock work? You will need professional inspections (by the local jusidiction authorities) after the framing and wiring before the sheetrock goes in... there is a lot involved.

THe wall is just a small part of it. If you answer is no to some or all of that... you are better off hiring someone (who I need to qualify as being liscensed and insured) . Mistakes could end up with you having to start over to meet code and wipe out any sweat equity and cost you extra money in short order.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Mar 13, 2014, 02:11 PM
    The first thing you will have to do is determine if there is a footing located where the garage door is.Not all builders, but some did not put a footing there. Stopping at the door sides.

After determining this the block wall can be installed. If not used to masonry work, would have it done by a contractor. After inspections you can finish the rest yourself.

You can stop back here with an questions.

Good luck

Chuck
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Mar 13, 2014, 06:06 PM
    You also need a calculation by a professional for that retaining wall you are essentially building. Guessing at it may result in block strewn around on your garage floor after some heavy rains one day. Also, hope you are planning on removing the driveway surface assuming it is hot mix asphalt or concrete. It will bring water directly to your wall foundation, and there must be a drainage system there already if the driveway slopes toward the garage door. Are you modifying that existing drainage, removing it or how is drainage handled there now. Yes, you need a footing to support the block wall and an existing footing for the slab probably won't be sufficient for the extra load of the wall. What are your plans for waterproofing the soil side of the wall? Get some estimates from some reputable contractors first, and you will get a better idea of what is going to be involved. Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Should I frame a wall on outside of garage door, leaving garage door in place? [ 5 Answers ]

I would like to convert the garage into a workroom by putting up a frame on the outside of the garage door, insulating it and leaving the garage door in place so that if I need to sell the house I can convert the room back into a garage. What problems could arise and are there any...

A/c and heat garage wall unit? [ 0 Answers ]

Hello: My garage needs a/c and heat. I know there are big wall units similar to the ones in hotels that heat and air condition. I have searched for them but I think the fact that I don't know what they are called is my problem in not finding them online but I would like expert advise about them...

How to build an interior wall inside garage without removing the garage door [ 5 Answers ]

I want to build a wall inside my 1 car garage, I have flooring down already with those 2ftX 2ft squares with plastic on the bottom and click together wood flooring on top. I can't (because of condo docs) remove the garage door.. but I want to make this into a bedroom. Myidea is to seal the garage...

Damp garage wall [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, the first 2 feet of the inside garage wall are damp, it is all cement and I want to fix it...

Garage Wall--Tear Down or Build Up [ 3 Answers ]

I have a one-car attached garage. The wall on the house side of the garage is finished with siding (the other walls are unfinished). If I want to finish the house side wall, should I tear off the siding and replace with drywall or should I build a 2x4 frame next to the old wall and drywall over...

View more questions Search