Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mjames41651 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 10, 2014, 08:50 PM
    Problem with toilet
    Sometimes 1 of my 3 toilets does not flush all the way. Eventually it will go down by itself. There is a gargling noise in the sink in the same bathroom when I try to flush or plunge it. Also when I take a shower again in the same bathroom you hear the gargling in toilet and/or sink. Is it bad venting? This bathroom was added on to the 35 year old house a few years ago. Is it bad venting or my septic tank needs cleaning.
    katw88 Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Mar 11, 2014, 04:14 PM
    I'm not a professional in any way - but I had similar problems and after some internet research found out that this "burping" can be caused by poor ventilation indeed. Check your plumbing vent pipes for obstruction, it could be something as simple as a bird trying to build a nest in there.
    How to Clean Plumbing Vent Pipes | Home Guides | SF Gate
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 11, 2014, 05:01 PM
    Hi Mjames

You and Katw88 are onto something with the vents, for sure! Here, I suspect that the sink drain/vent is clogged. By your description, I would have you look under the sink and see if you have a mechanical vent (called an air admittance valve or AAV) on the drain pipe. Here, the AAV is usually something that is threaded and can be removed (see image). If you find a removable AAV remove it and go to a local home improvement store and get a replacement AAV and some teflon tape and install the new AAV. If you have something that looks similar but is not removable see if you can post a picture here.

If you do not find an AAV under the cabinet then it sounds like the SINK DRAIN may be clogged up a bit. Here, I suspect that the sink drain and vent act to WET VENT the other plumbing fixtures in the bathroom, and that means that a clogged drain would effectively act as a blocked vent for your toilet/shower...;) Snake the sink drain in this case and it should improve things.

Mark
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Problem with toilet [ 9 Answers ]

The issue is with the water that comes out the holes in the toilet to fill it up after flushing. Water is still coming out of some of the holes after it fills up, not bad, but a constant drizzle. I had a plumber come out and take a look at it and said he said that wasn't a problem, but that he...

Another toilet problem [ 2 Answers ]

ANOTHER TOILET BOWL WATER PROBLEM! Have American Standard 2 button flush toilet's installed in bathrooms.. one operates fine.. the other one flushes and fills Ok, but after a few moments I notice the bowl water level has dropped about an inch.. how can I rectify this situation.. other then the...

I'm having a toilet problem [ 4 Answers ]

What does it mean if the water level in my toilet is really low.. but when I flush the toilet the water level comes up so high it almost touches my butt?! I've been trying to fix it.. I've plunged it. And I've asked several people nobody knows

Toilet problem [ 2 Answers ]

I am changing the overflow valve and the one of the bolts and nut is stuck, I have tried wd40, and heated it to see if it would loosen, its holding up the process. What can I do to get this damn bolt and nut alose?

Toilet problem [ 5 Answers ]

We recently moved to our new home which is build in 1950's. I have two bathrooms. In one of the bathroom, the toilet started giving problems. When you flush the water comes almost near the rim and then it starts going down the drains very slowly. I used an additive and also used the plunger for...

View more questions Search