Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DZLDOCTOR Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2014, 05:33 PM
    Ground fault protection
    I have a customer who wants to remove his ground fault protection from his switchgear main breaker and rely on the ground fault protection on his service entrance transfer switch leaving the generator unprotected. Is this legal for a public office complex?
    hfcarson Posts: 1,003, Reputation: 49
    Ultra Member

Mar 10, 2014, 04:08 AM
    First, is this in the USA?
    Second, is the ground fault protection (GFPE) in the main service disconnect required?
    If the service disconnect is 1,000 amperes or larger at 480 volts, then most likely it is.
    Let's consider this at worst case... the GFPE has been removed and later an idiot sparky get's hurt...
    Can you explain why this would be a good idea?
    Ultra Member

Mar 10, 2014, 08:09 AM
    DZL - I see you are in Kentucky...
    It looks like you have good reason to be concerned. This is a life safety and work safety issue that should not be taken casually...
    Let us know where this goes,
    Ultra Member

Mar 25, 2014, 03:04 AM
    So... what happened?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Line to ground fault [ 5 Answers ]

This is electrical probulum

Ground fault outlet [ 2 Answers ]

If you have a ground fault outlet installed, will that protect the rest of The outlets under the same circuit??

Ground Fault Interupters [ 1 Answers ]

Why so GFIs require a separate neutral for each one?

Ground fault trips occasionally. [ 2 Answers ]

I have a new house and have a problem with a certain group of circuits going out. It includes my screened in porch and exterior outlets (landscape lights). Occasionally, the circuit trips (the ground fault outlet in my laundry room has to be reset). I'm worried because I have refrigerators...

Ground Fault [ 1 Answers ]

I wired my garage a year ago. Now all of a sudden I had a ground hot reverse alternating to normal in my outlets and my lights stop working properly. I rewired all the outlets and the it went away until I went to turn on a light. Then it went back to ground hot reversed. I had a buddy come over and...

View more questions Search