Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mauidirta1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2014, 08:07 AM
    After 3 minutes of riding over 55 my 1989 evo starts spitting oil
    Wondering why my 89 evo is losing oil out of the crankcase breather filter after a couple min. of riding at 55 or over.all oil lines are connected right... the oil tank is not over filled,and my breather gear is timed right... no other time does this happen... I'm a fairly seasoned harley wrench but as always... your never too old to learn... thanx to all who respond...
    Dirty kurt in Hawaii
    [email protected]
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Mar 8, 2014, 11:58 AM
    Bad piston rings?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Mar 8, 2014, 04:13 PM
    Pressure in the crankcase. Possible bad piston or broken piston ring.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Mar 8, 2014, 06:38 PM
    Excess pressure, possibly due to carbon build-up on the piston, head, and valves. It may be time to pull and rebuild the engine. You may be able to get by with simply installing new rings and removing any carbon. Oil may be getting past the rings and being burned (forming carbon). What is not burned may be blown out the oil vent at high rpm. It's very similar to what happens on mowers, particularly those made by B&S.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My oil furnace starts fire runs about 40sec and cuts out, then 30econds later starts [ 1 Answers ]

I come home my house is cold, Frequently. OIL furnace. I go to furnace switch main switch off and back to on. Furnace fires and fire goes almost minute and shuts off. If I bump the furnace or tap the primary control the furnace starts fire and runs. Not always though. Soometimes have to use...

I have a JD LT155 that will start but starts smoking & spitting fuel then dies. Any ! [ 1 Answers ]

I have a JD LT155 that when I try to crank it will start but immediately starts smoking and spitting fuel from the exhaust then will die and won't crank again. I took the spark plug out and cleaned it and tried again, also replaced the spark plug but it does the same thing. Any ideas?

Central heater furnace starts and blower starts for 30 minutes and then fan shuts off [ 1 Answers ]

We start our central heater and the furnace kicks in and then the blower starts and the house warms up but when it reaches the desired temperature. When the temp. drops and you can hear the furnace start but the blower will never kick in. If we shut off the whole thing and wait about 1 hour, we...

Lawn mower spitting oil [ 3 Answers ]

I started my lawn mower first time this season after it was buried in snow under plastic cover for 5 months. It started but it is spitting oil from the left side as you stand behind it. How can I fix this ? Or is time for a new mower ? Regards,

B & S 14.5, Breather Tube Spitting Oil/gas [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 38" Snapper yard cruiser rider with the B&S 14.5 HP engine. It has the ability to be stood on its butt to let you clean the desk and change blades. I did this Saturday to do both. I remembered to close the air vent to the gas tank. I forgot :eek: to close the shut off valve at the gas...

View more questions Search