Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ac23 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2014, 08:06 AM
    Collections for broken lease
    Two years ago I lived in North Dakota and had a roommate. Our rent was 1600 dollars, so when we got the apartment we owed 1600 for the deposit and 1600 for the first month's rent. I brought a check for 1600 and she brought a check for 1600. Her checks both bounced, and I was not told of this at all until the end of the month. My roommate could not pay in full the 1600 owed from the bounced checks plus the NSF fees, nor was she going to pay the next month's 800.00. Other problems also came up involving the roommate which made me scared of my safety in the apartment. I went to the property management office and told them what was going on and I signed a paper saying that I was leaving the lease since she was not paying and making me feel unsafe. The office lady was super nice and said that it would be rented right away, and that because we were breaking the lease we would owe jointly the 1600 for the next month's rent and the cleaning fee. I was okay with that, but I didn't get it in writing. So fast forward a year later and the debt is at collections because they now say that jointly we owe 3799, for her bounced checks, the next month's rent and the cleaning fee. I tried to speak with the collections agency in the beginning telling them that I would like to pay what I owe, no more, and wanted to negotiate. I said I would pay half of the second month's rent and half of the cleaning fee because that is what I was told I would need to pay. That comes to about 1000.00. Needless to say the collections lady said no go. She also said that they cannot find or get in touch with my ex-roommate whom I do not speak with or know how to locate. They said that no matter what I pay, that I am responsible for all of it. Anyway, I guess what I want to know is how to negotiate and how to find a way to split that negative debt in collections so that I can pay my part and have it removed from my credit, without having to pay back the money she owes, if this is even possible. I've never had an issue with credit or debt collectors in my life, so I'm really unsure of what to say and how to speak with collections to find some sort of agreement that is somewhat beneficial to me. Thanks for any answers and input, and please forgive the super long explanation. Thanks.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 8, 2014, 11:56 AM
    Sorry, but your lease probably had a clause that said you were each responsible for the full amount of the lease. This is a common clause in rental leases for roommates. So, legally, you are responsible for the full amount. You can, however, try to sue the roommate for their share. But the collections agency does not have to accept anything less that the full amount of the debt.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

AZ LAW - Broken Lease Agreement / Collections Dispute [ 3 Answers ]

I need some assistance. 1 Year ago I signed a lease (with an apt. complex) along with a friend. Throughout the year, my friend developed a drug problem and eventually stopped paying rent and doing damage to the apartment. I continued to pay the full amount of rent each month, but once the lease...

Antique Collections, Gun Collections, Paperweight, Clocks, Scientific Instruments, [ 8 Answers ]

Background: My Father was an incredible man who truly made an indelible mark on History. He had a very successful career as a mechanical engineer. Dads career took him all over the world. In his travels throughout the years, he managed to accumulated a small fortune in Antiques and...

Broken lease [ 1 Answers ]

I lost my job and had no income so I was forsed to move out of my apartment. I had to move 400 miles across the country to live with relitives. I heard that if you moved more than 50 miles away your lease would be automatically terminated. Does anyone know if this is true?

Lease not broken- but assigned a lease breakage fee [ 7 Answers ]

Hello all and thank you for reading, Here is the story: This May we moved out of our apartment and found new renters not only for the rest of our term (until July 31st) but until the next year at that time. We moved out and with our good faith we let the new tenants move in and start paying...

View more questions Search