Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    19551950 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2014, 09:27 PM
    Unwed bio father made to relinquish parental rights
    Now married mom wants to force unwed father to relinquish parental rights so new husband can adopt child. Mom and bio dad lived together until child was over 2 years old. He became homeless after breakup and eventually was charged with murder of another homeless man, which he is serving approx. 23, 24 years for his crime in Virginia.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Mar 7, 2014, 11:34 PM
    What is your question for us?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 8, 2014, 06:11 AM
    So what is your question?

The guiding principle behind laws relating to children is "the best interests of the child". Do you really feel the best interests of the child would not be served by allowing the stop father to adopt? The bio father made his choices. Given his situation he cannot be a father to this child. The mother cannot force the bio father to relinquish his rights, but a court can terminate them.

The step father can file a petition to adopt with the mother's support. It will then be up to a court to determine what is in the best interests of the child. In my opinion an adoption would be.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 8, 2014, 07:07 AM
    This one should not be much of a problem, but nothing is for sure. So your hire an attorney, and they file in court, for best interest of the child.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Parental rights of infant to unwed parents [ 12 Answers ]

I have a question for my best friend, who unfortunately got pregnant after a one-night stand. She lived in Las Vegas at the time and the father lives in the Bay Area. She moved to Northern California, but about 2 hours away from where the father lives. The baby was born in CA and the father is on...

I have a 15yr old daughter that wants her father to relinquish his parental rights. [ 4 Answers ]

Can this be done in the state of Texas and how do I help her get this? He has had nothing to do with them and is now remarried to 3rd wife with child. She wishes to be adopted by her step-father. Her father was physically and emotionally abusive to her and her brother. He lives in Ohio and we live...

What if I am not Bio Parent and I relinquish my parental rights [ 3 Answers ]

What if I am not the bio parent and I want to relinquish my parental rights. My x-wife is accepting money from the girls fathers... yes "we" have 2 daughters and she is accepts money from their fathers. She takes vacations with them, accepts gifts from them for the girls. And I am stuck with the...

How to find out if bio-father gave up parental rights? [ 3 Answers ]

Just found out this weekend the name of my bio-father. Bit & pieces of the story have been shared over the years. Mom & Dad will not discuss this topic w/me. I am 50 yrs. Old. Need medical history.

Father wants to relinquish parental rights [ 3 Answers ]

I live in Pennsylvania. My daughter is almost 6 years old. Her biological father has not seen her since she was 12 days old but he has been paying child support for about 6 months now. I've been remarried for 4 1/2 years and my daughter has known my new husband as her father since she was 7...

View more questions Search