Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    All4Tax Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2014, 10:04 AM
    Tax for LLC formed by foreigners
    I have a friend who lives in China and never been in the US. He formed an LLC with another person (also Chinese nationality) through a registered agent last year for his Amazon online sales. The business profit was around 100K last year. My questions: 1) Is the LLC required to file 1065 LLC tax? If so, how should they proceed, since they don't have a SSN. Should they apply for a ITIN first? 2) Do they need to file and pay individual tax using 1040NR? Is there any exemption for the individual tax, or they need to pay about the same tax as US citizen? Thanks.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 5, 2014, 10:20 AM
    The LLC is a BUSINESS entity, not a TAX entity. For tax purposes, they are a partnership, and, for sure, a partnership return is required at the federal level and probably in the state where the LLC is registered. The state may also have special LLC reporting requirements.

As for the personal return, an argument could be made that NO federal income taxes are due because neither partner lives or works in the United States, but registering the business INSIDE the U.S. gives it a base here, which the IRS will argue makes it (and the partners) subject to U.S. taxes.

The partners would file Form 1040NR with a Schedule E for the federal return, which means they must pay income taxes, but NOT self-employment taxes. They would also have to submit Form W-7 to get an ITIN, and THAT process can be really complicated, especially if the applicant is NOT located in the United States.

Your friend needs specialized tax help which I CAN provide. If her is interested, have him email me at the email address in my profile.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I formed an LLC in 2009 and only act. Was $51.16 int inc. Do I need to file a return [ 1 Answers ]

I formed an LLC in 2009 and the only activity was $51.16 in interest income. The LLC received a 1099-INT. Do I need to file a federal return or state return (in IL)? Thx.

8833 tax treaty and exemptions for foreigners [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there, I have a question about form 8833. I have read as much as I can from the IRS site, Treaty articles and form instructions. But I am still confused. I am a UK resident who works in the motion picture industry. As such, I enter on an O2 visa when working. If I am employed by a UK...

Tax deductions for foreigners living in NYC/ Manhattan [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, my name is Yvonne and living in the U.S. since 2007. I have a L 1 visa, working for a German company and living in NYC/ Manhattan since 11/2007. I heard about special tax deductions for foreigners for the first (2/3 ?) years while living in Manhattan. Is this true? If yes, what deductions are...

Single Member LLC or Partnership (Husband/Wife) LLC (Tax Advantages) [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, My wife is winding down to her last semester in college and has already gotten really busy with freelance work. In the midst of all this work is contracts, deadlines, and money. On the side we have been doing photography work for a little over a year now, but will no doubt get a lot...

View more questions Search