Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TKH329 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2014, 11:53 AM
    Chapter 13 and child support
    My husband and I jointly filed Chapter 13 nearly two years ago. We separated a year ago and our divorce was filed in July of 2013. We mutually agreed on most everything and I had an attorney draw up the paperwork. Ex refused to sign it and has now hired a attorney to help him drag his feet. After 8 months, I filed a temporary order because he has not been helping to support our three children. In court yesterday, his attorney has now come up with the argument that because we are in Chapter 13, the court cannot issue an order requiring him to pay child support. Neither of the attorneys nor the judge knew the answer so we have been delayed another two months to find the answer. Is there any possibility this could be true? I mean, honestly, I too am involved in the Chapter 13, yet I am 100% responsible for my children? That does not seem fair. If that is the case shouldn't all divorce attorneys recommend that their clients file Chapter 13 prior to a Temporary Order?
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Mar 4, 2014, 11:55 AM
    If the judge entertained that and delayed it for that... then there must be legal grounds for it or they would have rejected it immediately.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 4, 2014, 12:38 PM
    When an attorney makes such a motion he had better be able to cite statute or case law to support it. That cite should be part of the public record. The judge should review the statute or precedent and make a decision.
    TKH329 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2014, 11:17 AM
    Ex's attorney raises this question by phone to my attorney on the way to court. (not accidently). My attorney was unable to research it. A full court docket made it unrealistic to call some experts to ask... so it got pushed back. My attorney suggested that each side prepare briefs to show their position which is where we are now. I'm frustrated and angry. Any research I have been trying to do pulls up nothing. I was just wondering if anyone else knew the answer. It does not seem right that he would be allowed to not support his children.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 5, 2014, 11:57 AM
    Again, if there is no statute or case law to support it, the judge will deny it. And both he and his attorney may be sanctioned for a clear delaying tactic.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 6, 2014, 04:43 AM
    No, child support is not included into a Chapter 13, plus that would have only covered old existing debts, any new debts after the filing of the Chapter 13 are not protected by it.

The issue is family law attorneys no nothing about Federal Bankruptcy laws, his attorney did not even file motions property. This is just a confusion issue and a stalling issue.

Your attorney should not have even accepted or objected hearing this, if the other attorney could not site actual case law.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can child support levy a bank account if you are paying child support weekly [ 3 Answers ]

My boyfriends name is on my checking acct. He also has his own account. He is paying weekly child's support from his pay check to the state of NH by court order. Massachusetts child support put a levy on all of my account and all of his account. None of the money ($1669.90) in my account was his. I...

I owe back child support, will child support garnish the whole tax return? [ 3 Answers ]

Will child support garnish the whole tax return?

Can child support be reduced when filing Chapter 13 bankruptcy? [ 2 Answers ]

I filed a motion in May of '10 to receive child support for my daughter and in July of '10 my ex filed chapter 13 and the Judge in the case pleaded ignorant to whether he should reduce the child support due to the chapter 13 payment because it reduced my ex's net income. This seems ridiculous when...

GI Bill Chapter 30 - Child Support? [ 4 Answers ]

My son's dad was in the military when we got our child support established. Now, 4 years later, he's trying to lower his support. He gets $660.50 per semester, I believe, for school from the GI Bill. From what I understand, he does NOT have to pay back what he doesn't use towards school. Is...

Chapter 13 and child support [ 3 Answers ]

Can a parent who is 2000.00 dollars behind on Child Support still file chapter 13,and not have to pay the back support.Or will chapter 13 catch him/her up.And that parent receicve a lump sum.Then it's up to him to stay caught up.

View more questions Search