Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    band_addict Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2014, 12:44 PM
    Is it bad I want to kill myself because my best friend is being bullied?
    My best friend is being bullied at school and she said she's OK but I know she's not. This morning she was crying and I sat next to her and asked if she wanted me to help her and she screamed 'go away I'm fine!!' at me. She's never yelled at me like that before. Is wanting to kill myself because she's being bullied wrong and selfish?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 3, 2014, 12:59 PM
    Oh come on ! How will you killing yourself help your friend? Don't you understand why she is so upset.
    taxesforaliens Posts: 649, Reputation: 117

Mar 3, 2014, 01:04 PM
    Even though she yelled at you, she probably didn't mean it. She is in a bad situation and instead of thinking about killing yourself because she yelled at you, think about how you can help her.
    Report the bullying to teachers/parents etc.
    band_addict Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2014, 01:05 PM
    Ya, I understand why she's upset but I want to die because I'm sick of watching her get bullied and I can't stop it.
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    Oh come on ! How will you killing yourself help your friend? Don't you understand why she is so upset.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 3, 2014, 01:05 PM
    Most schools have a zero tolerance for bullying now. Tell her to talk with her parents or a trusted teacher about this. If she's being bullied, so also are other students.

tickle is correct. Killing yourself won't help your friend at all. It will just make matters worse.
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert

Mar 3, 2014, 01:46 PM
    I would take a moment to feel your emotions a little more closely. What You're feeling is probably impotent rage and helplessness. The phrase, "I want to kill myself," tends to portray a desire to stop these feelings, but since you can't stop them by helping your friend, you want to stop them by killing yourself. Understand what you're feeling and why. You will realize that there isn't any actual desire for death but just a desire to help change something you don't know how to change. While saying such things can deliever your meaning, they often lead to misinterpretation causing all focus to be lost on your friends problem and on your problem which actually isn't a problem.

There is always options and there are always ways to help. Talking to a teacher or guidance counsellor might be the best option for this. It could always be that she's already dealing with this. As well she's probably as frustrated with this situation as you are and might view your interference as making it worse.

Go to your teachers or go to the cops. Just take into account the potential fallout from this all. Maybe she just needs a shoulder to cry on or a strong back to help bear this burden. This can be done without words.

Good luck and becareful with your english.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 3, 2014, 02:22 PM
    Many people get upset at being asked how they are, if they are feeling OK, feeling better, or if they need help. There's no quick and easy answer, right?

Next time you sit next to her, hold onto her arm and say you are there for her no matter what. Don't ask questions. She will talk when she is ready, in private. You are there for support, for a hug, for company, to listen, not to do one minute fixes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Friend that is getting bullied but won't get help. [ 1 Answers ]

So one of my friends is getting bullied. It looks like she doesn't even know it. But she does. These 3 girls are teasing her and throwing things at her. When she is with them, she is really nice to them, but they return it with crap. She says she hates them. When we said she should get some...

What do I tell a friend when they're being bullied? HELP! [ 9 Answers ]

My friend who lives in a different state than I is having a problems with bullies. They hit her, harrass her, name call, etc etc. And like anyone else going through this, she is sick of it. She calls me almost daily crying, and just now she told me she wants to commit suicide. I don't know what to...

Friend want to kill himself cause of me. [ 5 Answers ]

Hey there! I got a problem, and I thought that I would give this page a shot, since I'm desperate, and completely clueless about what do to. So this is my problem: I got this good friend, who is crushing on this guy. To make sure that they stay anonymous, I call his crush David, and my friend...

View more questions Search