Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    b_brock24 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 1, 2014, 07:49 PM
    Giving Your Dog Bones
    I have two English Bulldogs. My male is almost two and my female is almost one. I was at a local Pet Sense store today and bought two Pork Femur bones. I have never gave them bones before but have some friends that give there dogs this kind of bone and they told me about them. I wanted to make sure it was okay to let my dogs have this type of bone.
    Kayla Write Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 1, 2014, 11:52 PM
    I'm pretty sure it is OK if you had gotten it from a pet store. I am also aware that if you were to buy some chicken or steak, to not leave the bones around pets or in the trash because 'people food' bones can hurt arteries in animals. But is it says that is for animals it should be OK. Ask a vet to be 100% sure.
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Mar 4, 2014, 08:24 PM
    If the bones are cooked or cured, they have potential to splinter and hurt your dogs mouth, or worse if they are ingested. Also remember that bones have potential to break teeth if you have aggressive chewers.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 5, 2014, 03:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Kayla Write View Post
    I'm pretty sure it is OK if you had gotten it from a pet store. I am also aware that if you were to buy some chicken or steak, to not leave the bones around pets or in the trash because 'people food' bones can hurt arteries in animals. But is it says that is for animals it should be OK. Ask a vet to be 100% sure.
    Not everything you can buy in a pet store is safe. In fact, most of the toys or treats found in a pet store are not safe at all. Just because a pet store sells it, doesn't mean it's okay to give to your pet.

Kayla, I do appreciate that you wanted to post, but in this forum you really have to know what you're talking about. You can't just post because you think you know, or feel you think you know. You have to know, without googling, and without guessing. You could very well put someone's pet at risk if you give improper advice.

Asking your vet is good advice, but most people can't call their vet and pay a vet fee every time they have a question, and most vets will not offer advice for free.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 5, 2014, 04:43 PM
    Raw bones and antlers can be great treats for dogs but cooked bones are out. We are feeding more raw lately and we frequently buy raw chicken legs in bulk to feed to the dogs.

BTW, I totally agree, just because a store sells something doesn't insure it is safe. It only means the store makes a profit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dog ate chicken bones!! [ 2 Answers ]

Hello. My Brindle Boxer Eva ate chicken bones Feb 8th. She has had no behavioral issues and I have not seen an issues with her urine or stool. When I got home today (March 7) there was a small amount of emesis on the floor consisted of what looked like old bone that was very hard with some blood...

Dog swallowing bones [ 4 Answers ]

Our dog has had many bones. He is a working ranch dog and gets many bones left from the hunters. This time, he at both cooked and uncooked "beef" bones. He is lathargic, not eating and throwing up bile. This is the third day. He also swims in cattle watering holes/dams and open sewers. My...

Dog possessive with bones [ 11 Answers ]

My 1 year old puppy is very possessive with her bones and toys around other dogs. She has no problem with humans (adults or children) taking them from her, and doesn't react at all to that, but if there is another dog around that she is familiar with and it comes near her bone or we pick it up...

Dog ate chicken bones [ 3 Answers ]

I havea poodle, bechon mix and he ate chicken bones. Has been having diarea with blood. Its been about 4 days. What should I do?

Dog and Chicken bones [ 3 Answers ]

From a PM: ''Hey there. I just read a response you left about chicken bones and dogs. It said something about tarry stool. Well, my dog ate an entire rotisserie chicken and now has diarrhea. Do you know if these bones digest? She is acting fine just has lots of poo.'' Quite often dogs eat...

View more questions Search