Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jessyfay Posts: 164, Reputation: 4

Apr 2, 2007, 04:55 PM
    What should I plant .
    I have a wonderful patch of empty dirt between my garage and sidewalk and don't know what to put there, last year I tried raspberry canes and blueberries but there wasn't enouph sun and they didn't produce any berries, It is in shade all the time, I was thinking of some pretty flowers and maybe a veggie or two,
    What plants/flowers grow in full shade?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 2, 2007, 08:36 PM
    Impatiens thrive in shade and poor soil. Maybe hostas. Root cuttings from your house plants and set them out when it warms up.
    hwy61 Posts: 19, Reputation: 5

Apr 2, 2007, 09:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessyfay
    I have a wonderful patch of empty dirt between my garage and sidewalk and don't know what to put there, last year I tried raspberry canes and blueberries but there wasn't enouph sun and they didn't produce any berries, It is in shade all the time, I was thinking of some pretty flowers and maybe a veggie or two,
    What plants/flowers grow in full shade?
    What neck of the woods do you live in? Shade plants around here, Alabama, are Aucuba, green or variegated, hosta, ferns, lenten rose, aspidistra, mondo japonica, liriope, english ivy, azalea, low yew, etc.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Apr 2, 2007, 09:58 PM
    Hi, JessyFay!

As Hwy61 has asked "What neck of the woods do you live in?" It makes a difference as to where you live because plants have various degrees of hardiness to climates. We don't know where in the world you live. May not be the U.S.

For information concerning your particular hardiness zone in the world, please check out the following link: Where in the World - Plant Provenance

For information on just the U.S hardiness zones, please check out this link:

National Arboretum - USDA Plant Hardiness Zone Map

For shade plants that would grow well in your zone, you might like to type in a Google search, the following words and add your location between the parenthesis: shade plants (your location) zone. You will get lots of results.

On the other hand, you might find someone on this site who lives in the same zone that you do. And may know exactly what plant or plants you need because it has worked for him or her.

Secretary, Rock Island Horticulture Club

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Plant Mass [ 4 Answers ]

What is the source of most of the mass in plants?

Anyone know the name of this plant? [ 2 Answers ]

http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/329839/2/istockphoto_329839_feathery_plants.jpg Urgent, thanks!

Plant respiration [ 6 Answers ]

Under normal conditions, the plant opens its stomata during the day and closes during night (photosynthesis occurs during day time). However, respiration occurs during day and night. How does the plant achieve gaz exchange (O2, and CO2 produced during respiration) if the stomata is closed? Thank...

Plant Roots [ 1 Answers ]

Distinguish between primary and secondary growth in roots.

View more questions Search