Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    arickaf Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2014, 03:18 PM
    Current Rommate Not on Lease Failed to Give 30 Day Notice
    Short back story: I moved into my apartment over two years ago with roommate A. Our lease expired over a year ago. Roommate A moved a few months ago. I refunded her full security deposit. Roommate B moved in shortly afterwards. It is only my name on the rental agreement. The prop mgmt. is aware that roommate B moved in, but she is not on (what's left of) the lease. I gave my 30 day notice and since then moved out. Roommate B was going to stay but circumstances changed and now is not staying. She is unreachable, and her sister has taken over moving roommate B's stuff out. I was hoping to get all of my security deposit back (minus cleaning fee) since the apartment is in great condition. Will I be liable / my sec dep penalized since roommate B did not give notice? In my mind I met all my obligations. Roommate B did not - if she really had any since they never put her on the lease/agreement. Any answers on this? Thanks!
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Feb 28, 2014, 04:38 PM
    If you had no lease you have no further obligation. However, to get your security deposit back you should have met with the landlord the day you moved out for inspection of the property and return of your deposit. It was then his responsibility to enter a New and separate lease, and a security deposit, from roommate B. He should not keep your deposit since your lease is over. But good luck getting it back from a landlord who is sloppy with his business practices.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 28, 2014, 05:06 PM
    When your lease expired you went to month to month. Roommate B had no right to remain after your vacate date unless she signed a new lease. So, you are entitled to your deposit back. Your landlord as a specific amount of time to return the deposit or an accounting of how it was used. That amount of time depends on your location.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does a landlord have to give 30 day notice they don't want renew my lease [ 6 Answers ]

I get a fed ex package on August 16,2010 stating that my landlord is not going to renew my lease. Also that I need to be out by September 1,2010. What are my options legally in the state of Missouri? I am subletting this loft but I do have a lease. Thanks

Do I have to give a 60 day notice to vacate if my lease is ending? [ 6 Answers ]

I've lived in an apartment for the past 4 years. The last cycle I renewed my lease for 10 months and stated I would be leaving for ST Louis at the end of the term. Now my term is ending in a month and a half and they say that since I haven't provided a 60 day notice to vacate that I have to pay...

If I'm been evicted and signed a lease do they have to give me a 60 day notice [ 2 Answers ]

I have a years lease in La Verne,Ca. I;m behind on the rent and they want to evict. Do they have to give me a 60 day notice to move.

What happen if I give my rommate 30 days notice and she doesn't sign it? [ 2 Answers ]

:confused: Hello there I rent a place and my landlord said if you want to get a roommate it 's your choice and you have to deal with it. So I found a roommate and I had month to month lease with her. And now after one year we don't get a long ( long story) I asked her to find another place so I...

Apartment lost our lease agreement, and want us to still give 60 day notice [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: Please... Help... Is this at all right? Am I still required to give a 60 day notice if the apartments have lost our lease agreement? There has been one thing after another gone wrong. I have called the corporate office, and still, no answers. Can someone give me some advice?

View more questions Search