Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rumsbox Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2007, 04:25 PM
    Federal exemptions for indian students according to the tax treaty
    My wife and I are both grad students.

I was a student for the entire year of 2006- F1 visa
    My wife changed status from L1 to F1 in aug 2006

If our combined annual income for 2006 is lower than the total tuition paid in the year, are we exempt from federal taxes according to the Indo-US tax treaty?

If my wife's change of status prevents her from claiming such an exemption,can I file "married filing separately" to get this exemption?

Thank you for your time and consideration.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 2, 2007, 05:04 PM
    You really have to say which country you live in. Federal govt. could mean US or Canada. If you are Canada I think you should call the Dept. of Indian Affairs in Ottawa to clarify your status on education for you and your wife. I believe you receive an allowance, and in that case would not be taxable or deductible. :)
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 2, 2007, 05:06 PM
    Sorry, I jumped the gun, you did say indo-US treaty. For that I will defer to our expert here to answer your question. Sorry.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 9, 2007, 01:55 PM
    Tuition PAID means NOTHING when you file a non-resident tax return.

You each must file a non-resident tax return (Form 1040NR-EZ) if you BOTH earned income UNLESS each of you earned less than $3,300, in which case NO tax return is legally required. However, you MAY still want to file to get the withheld income taxes back.

If your individual incomes exceeded $3,300, you should file Form 1040NR-EZ. You each get a $3,300 personal exemption and, under the tax treaty with India, a $5,150 standard deduction due to your F-1 visa status.

For your wife, to claim the $5,150 standard deduction, she MUST have earned at least that much money as a F-1 student. If all of her income is from her L-1 status, she CANNOT CLAIM the standard deduction.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

US-Indo Tax Treaty Exemptions [ 4 Answers ]

Hello TaxExperts, I am working in OK, US on H1. It's the tax time of the year, and I would like to get maximum returns. Are there any exemptions under the US -Indo tax treaty that are beneficial to a person in my place? Under what "section" will such an exemption be available? I have been...

For F-1 Students is whole 'Stipend' income tax exempt under India-Usa Treaty ? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I entered USA in the August of 2005 on F-1 Visa. I received a graduate assistantship for one year and later on became a Research Assistant (RA) in my department. Being an RA entitles me to full tuition remission and am paid a stipend of 18K per year. When I filed my taxes previously with...

Taxes For Indian Students [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am a Indian student on F1 at Georgia. I am married and my wife is in F2 visa. We are directly coming from india. I am getting full tuition waiver and graduate assistantship. I wanted to know what will be the portion of taxes withheld every month from my slary and whether the indian US...

Indian tax treaty clause for H1B status ? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello all, I have summarized my case below - Jan 2005 (31 days) - F1/OPT Feb 2005 through Dec 2005 - H1B I filed taxes using the 1040EZ form, where I could "not" avail of the Indian tax treaty clause. The calculation for my taxable income was:

Exemptions for Non resident Indian on H1 [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I came to US on H1 in Oct 2005. (I do not satisfy the substantial presence test). I suppose I need to file the 1040NR-EZ form. 1. Can I claim the 5000$ standard deduction under India US treaty as a business apprentice (I do not know who qualifies to be a business apprentice)? 2. Am I...

View more questions Search