Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AFguy Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2007, 04:15 PM
    Good math story (parents, you should read!)
    By no means am I a genius or a math whiz, however I was able to successfully answer the question, "when are we ever going to use this trig' in real life?"

My oldest step-daughter was 14 and staying with us for the summer. She was about 5'3" at the time and I'm 6'1". She was continually moving the showerhead angle down which caused me (early morning and blurry-eyed) to continually crack my head into the wall, and after many 'discussions' I decided to pull out the old Trig. She's pretty good at math, so I knew she'd be able to grasp the info I was giving her. Her reasoning for moving the showerhead angle down was so she could stand further away from the wall (what?! ) and I told her it was making her stand closer and causing me to be so close to the wall that I'd knock my head into it if I wasn't awake enough to remember to move the showerhead back. I drew a triangle with measurements from the height of the shower head and the length of the bathtub. I then made a line inside the triangle to show my height and a second line showing her height. Then I changed the angles of the hyp to show the change in angle of the showerhead. After some good old-fashioned Trig, we can to the conclusion that she needed to leave the showerhead along because it was making her (and me) stand closer to the wall, not further away as she'd originally thought.

Who says that stuff isn't useful??
    galactus Posts: 2,271, Reputation: 282
    Ultra Member

Apr 2, 2007, 04:39 PM
    I enjoyed your story. Pretty tricky. I like that.

But, seriously, for those who wonder where trig is used in real life applications... surveying. It is used extensively in construction and surveying fields.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Now This Is A Very Funny Waxing Story... read On [ 5 Answers ]

WAX is NOT your friend CAUTION: Be prepared to laugh out loud... I laughed till I almost cried as I could just see this happening! (And I feel it too!) All hair removal methods have tricked women with their promises of easy, painless removal- The epilady, scissors, razors, Nair, and now......

Good Story that Helps [ 5 Answers ]

Enjoy a cup of coffee or a glass of wine with a friend. A MAYONNAISE JAR AND 2 CUPS OF COFFEE When things in your life seem almost too much to Handle, when 24 hours in a day are not enough, Remember the mayonnaise jar and the 2 cups of coffee. A professor stood before his...

Is this story good [ 1 Answers ]

Im Brandon Green I'm 17. I was born and raised in Houston Texas except for the one year I lived in Dallas. My dad was never really around when I was growing up he was in prison for a violation of parole for the last time he was in prison. My mom was a coke dealer when I was little and would have...

My story please read [ 8 Answers ]

Hello everyone! My first post here. Well you see, I know my ex-girlfriend since she was 14 and I was 16. It was during the time when AIM was pretty popular. I don't want to get too much detail into that but we talk and we ended up liking each other. Even when I had a girl I still liked her...

Need opinion if my short story is good... [ 1 Answers ]

Tears rolled out of the eyes you once saw, but what is so vague, you always seem to overlook. Slowly, she roughly wiped her eyes only, because she knew she should go on. Leaving behind everything, she had continuously accomplished, over and over. As she started staring at those sturdy steps in...

View more questions Search