Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1122emily Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2014, 05:56 AM
    Bit by neighbors dog at my house, have homwoners ins.
    I do not have a dog, but my neighbor does. When I walked outside 2days ago, it bit me. I have homeowners ins. And went to the hospital and plan to sue the homeowners. But I do bot want to give the name of the person who owns the dog- or the dog. They did not "make " me give the name at the hospital after I told them why? Any advice?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 27, 2014, 06:06 AM
    I don't understand. I doubt if your homeowner's insurance would cover this. Your medical insurance would, but they would require that you provide the name of the dog owner so they can sue THEIR insurance carrier for reimbursement.

There is no reason you need to give the name of the dog owner to the hospital, but you will need to give it to your insurer and definitely to your attorney if you plan on filing suit on your own.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 27, 2014, 07:09 AM
    Your home owners insurance has nothing to do with this, HIS, homeowners insurance or renters insurance is who pays for this, ( or he does out of checking account)

1. was this reported to animal control,
    2. have you gotten a vet proof that the dog has had its proper rabies shots ?
    3. why in the world would you not want to give the name, it seems like you are hiding the facts and may make later law suits seem like a fraud
    4. why did you even mention your home owners insurance
    5. if you did not give the proper facts at the hospital, it will hurt any future law suit
    6. when you sue your neighbor ( the only person you can sue) it is public, so no idea why not giving his name.
    7. you said sue homeowner, I will assume you mean neighbor, since you can not sue your own homeowners insurance, for a neigbhors dog. Plus your medical liability is not covered under your home owners anyway
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Feb 27, 2014, 04:02 PM
    I am lost too. You sue the neighbor and names will be used. And to further cloud the issue, some states have "first bite" laws. Look them up and see if your state has one.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dog bite find owners homeowners ins [ 2 Answers ]

Dog Attack; How can I find the Homeowner Insurance name and policy number to file a claim?While walking my 13 year old leashed Lab at a public park, we were attached by an off-leash, in tack, male bit bull.  The dog’s owner is an adult male who was living with his parent and has since moved. ...

Neighbors Dog House on My Property [ 14 Answers ]

A few months ago I had a survey done and moved my fence closer to my property line. For a few years I had let the neighbor keep their dog house three feet onto my property but when I had the fence redone, I told them I didn't want the dog house on my property anymore and made them move it. Well,...

Neighbors dog barking [ 2 Answers ]

HELP. A neighbors dog is barking and I can't get it to stop. Here's the deal. I live in NYC. The dog lives in the housing project next to my building. I can see the dog from my window and he's chained up on their 9th floor balcony barking- all the time. I have the address of the building...

Neighbors dog barking [ 1 Answers ]

Backyard neighbor says my dog bit her dog [ 3 Answers ]

My neighbor came over and presented me with a vet bill for 750.00 saying that my dog bit her dog over the fence on the ear and that she saw it happen. My dog did not leave my yard at any time. Her dog has been known to jump the fence and she has an electric fence about 4 ft from the wood fence to...

View more questions Search