Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JenkinsContract Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2014, 10:51 AM
    If I buy a home on land contract that is abandoned can I take residence immediately
    If I buy a home that had a land contract prior to my buying the home and the people have not paid in 2 years, and no one has been in the home for 3 weeks now can I start living in it today?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 26, 2014, 10:59 AM
    A land contract purchase means that the owner of the property retained ownership until the contract was completed. If the contract buyers did not complete the contract, then they were in default of the contract and the owner should have exercised the contract terms in case of default.

If you are purchasing this home outright, then you can move in as soon as the closing has been completed. If you purchased this home while the contract buyers were still in residence, then you accepted them as tenants and you have to evict them or take possession according to local laws. If they have moved out and handed over the keys, then they ceded possession and you can move in immediately. If they just abandoned the property, you may have to make sure legally that you can take possession.

You really did not give us enough info to give a good answer (any question on law needs to include your general locale as laws vary by area).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Selling our home on a land contract and the new buyer abandoned the home [ 8 Answers ]

Sold our house on a land contract and the buyer abandoned the home due to them not paying the electric bill. The buyer moved in with her boyfriend but left all her belongings in the home. My husband took the home back due to abandonment. Can he do this?

I sold my home on a land contract and the buyer abandoned it , what do I do ? [ 2 Answers ]

I sold my home on a land contract, the buyer abandoned the home , how long will it take to regain the home ?

Abandoned mobile home on my land, how to get title [ 8 Answers ]

I just purchased a 2.5 acre parcel of land that has a mobile home on it. When the previous owner purchased the land, the mobile home was on it at that time too. In the window of the mobile home, it shows an eviction paper from 2010 from another county. I called the Department of Housing in...

How to Buy an abandoned home [ 1 Answers ]

I live in eastern NC: I would like to know who do you contact to buy a abandoned home. I have drove past this house for 7 years and it's just sitting there empty and unused. I already have land I just need to find a house that is movable on my property.

View more questions Search