Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    -Dixie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2014, 10:42 AM
    Lots of water pouring out of pipe in yard... what is it?
    Someone said it was a broken sewage pipe but the water has continued for almost a day now with hardly any use of the pipes in the house. Could this much water be sewage? Also... outside, floating around in the water near the pipe opening were two socks! And this house has basically been occupied by two adults for many years with no kids... absolutely no way anyone flushed socks down the toilet. Is it possible it could have come from the washing machine? The water slows down at times and then at other times gushes... what does it sound like to you?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 25, 2014, 03:55 PM
    Hi Dixie

From your explanation, it sounds like the town/city sewer may be backing up into your main drain line. The only reason it isn't messier is because you had a broken pipe out in the yard, so in this case it may have saved you a big hassle back in your house...;)

Call your local town/city sewer department and see if they can come out and inspect the manhole(s) in front of your house. If the manhole is clogged the town/city will send a truck out to clear the drains in the street. This is usually treated as an emergency, so don't wait...call ASAP so that the sewer doesn't end up backing into your house during peak loads of use!

If you are on a septic system, post back and let me know that so we can discuss more, OK?

Back to you...

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water Pouring out of top but not the pipe [ 5 Answers ]

I've got an old Allience 501 hot water heater. It's pouring out water out of the top of the water heater. The exhaust vent has four legs on top of the heater. Two of the legs are screwed down and the other two legs have little taps that fit into little holes on the top of the heater. I popped...

Can I pull the relief valve on my hott water system to stop water from pouring out? [ 2 Answers ]

Water is pouring out of the top of my hot water system, can I pull the relief valve to stop it? I pulled it a little, but not sure how hard I am supposed to pull the lever?

I have water pouring out the pipe connected to the Temperature / Pressure Valve. [ 2 Answers ]

I have water pouring out the pipe connected to the Temperature / Pressure Valve. It has never happened before I released the pressure and water kept pouring out. It has stopped now. Do I need a new water heater or is it the T/P valve?

Clean Out pipe or Air Vent pipe in the front yard? [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, Here are the questions, followed by info. Would it best to call a plumber to find out what this pipe is for sure? Are there things that will tell us, as homer and marge homeowners, for sure if we really are on municipal sewer or if we have a septic sys or do we need to call the water co...

Iced pipe & lots of condensation outside of inside system [ 2 Answers ]

The system is a Rheem, not that old... I noticed today that the house was not cooling, and that the larger of the two copper pipes was frozen over on the part inside the garage. I cleaned the filter but it wasn't really dirty, and let the pipe defrost by turning off the system. There is so much...

View more questions Search