Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Clareshaw Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2014, 02:25 AM
    Blonde hair to brown
    Hi I have naturally light blonde hair and wish to die it a chocolate brown? Good idea? Bad idea? I would go to a salon to get this done, should I go semi or permanent dye? Dye effects on my hair health? Will my natural colour grow back or be affected? Is their a way to gradually make the brown wash out of my hair as opposed to redying my blonde roots brown as in dye my full head brown and then very gradually lighten the colour as opposed to bleaching the head back to blonde? Should I go for a shade lighter then desired as my hair is very light? Any advice would be helpful especially from hairdressers or those with experience going from blonde to Brown help me please!
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Feb 25, 2014, 04:31 AM
    Once you have any dark colour on light hair, you are stuck with re-touching when your roots start to show. A tedious process, and expensive, depending on how fast your hair grows. There are no short cuts. Suggest you try on a dark brown wig before you take the plunge to see if you actually like the dark on your skin tone.

Feb 25, 2014, 04:51 AM
    Thank you I've never thought about a wig but that's a great idea, do you think that I would be able to gradually lighten the brown as I begin to get re growth as opposed to continually dying the roots brown? As a less expensive option also, as my hair will never go back to the blonde it is now will the re growth be somewhat darker and easier to blend or do you think it will be a big contrast to the brown and therefore I have no option to either continue to die the roots or bleach my hair back blonde? Thanks again, also this is my first time dying my hair!
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Feb 25, 2014, 05:27 AM
    I know you probably want a change, but women who go from blonde to dark are never very happy with the upkeep and once it is done, here is no turning back. No, you will not be able to gradually lighten the brown to go back to your own natural colour. As I said before, it is an unnatractive option when light roots show after going darker, to constantly continue to touch up the roots. Trust me, try a wig first. Your skin tone is for blondes.

Feb 25, 2014, 03:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Mandamix View Post
    I think see if it suits you first like tickle says. I have a beautiful friend who is naturally blonde, she dyed her hair dark and although she still looked great, blonde just suits her best. She also found it hard to know what makeup and clothes suited her new hair and ended up going back to blonde via various shades of auburn and fake-looking blonde and her hair took a long time to get back to its previous condition. I think the wig idea is a good one, see how brown hair would be for you day to day, catch yourself in the mirror with it and see if you like the look or not. Maybe just spend a couple days at home trying it out before you take the plunge
    Thanks guys for the feedback! It's a tough one, I'm 15 nearly16 so I'm going to grow my hair very long and keep the blonde until my hair starts to turn to a dishwater blonde on its own, my mums changed colour when she was 20. That's when I'll cut it short and go brunette for a change I think, seeing as though I won't have light blonde hair forever anyway

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I dyed my brown hair blonde and it came out bright ginger with blonde roots, [ 3 Answers ]

How do I get all over blonde, when my hair is ginger with blonde roots

I recently had brown dye on my lighten blonde hair, how to I get the blonde back? [ 2 Answers ]

Prlease help. I have had my dark hair lightened for years, as blonde suits me better. However I wend to hairdresses last week and decided to have my roots lightened with bleach blonde hightlites instead tint. However, the salon put a lot of brown lowlites in too, which look alwful, how to I get...

I dyed my reddish brown hair blonde and got orange, how get blonde? [ 4 Answers ]

I'm a natural light brunette but for years have been lightening it. I got tired of blonde so I dyed it auburn which came out nice. I kept up the auburn using Loving care non-permanent dye but then got tired of that. I wanted to go back to blonde so 3 months ago used revlon ultra light natural...

I had light blonde hair, dyed it medium blonde, it turned out very dark brown. WTD? [ 1 Answers ]

I have medium blonde hair naturally. It was light blonde, and my roots were grown out pretty bad, and I bought Wella 711N which is medium blonde, and I used a 10 volume developer. I left it on for 20 minutes, and it turned out pretty dark. I have been washing it with joy dish soap. I read that I...

Can I re dye my hair from dark brown to a lighter brown or darker blonde? [ 3 Answers ]

Here is my dilemma, please help!! I wanted to do a hair color change, so I had my hair 2 toned. I told her I wanted to be dark on the bottom and blond on top so she did half the bottom dark brown and mixed sandy blond with another color for the top and it came out very brassy/red did not look...

View more questions Search